What’s your take on a shoal of damsels ??

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boss of the house, aka my wife:) , wants to start a tank filled with damsels. I know theyre mean little boogers but ive been asking around the local experts and they said it could be done if i have plenty of LR with lot of hiding holes. Like at least 150+ lbs of rocks. So my questions to you are:

Can i mix a variety or it has to be the same type?

Which damsels are the meanest?

Can i add other types of fish say angels, firefish, tangs etc?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 20 azura damsels in a 90 gallon along with a pair of clowns, yellow tang, 6 line and a melanarus. it looked great and never lost a single one. aggression was minimal I fed 3 times a day. putting my hand in the tank sucked but other than that I liked it way better than when I had green chromis

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me dig azure damsels.
When you say large, how many would you recommend for a 90 or 125G cube? If im not mistaken, the C. species include the blue devil also. Arent they obnoxious, little monsters?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azures are beautiful and amazingly mild for damsels. They won't really shoal...at least mine didnt. They each established their own little cubby hole and defended it. Otherwise they ignored each other and the other fish

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azures, arnazae, springeri, talbot, rollandi, traceyi, and tricincta are all well behaved.

You could easily have 10+ in that size tank.

How's about 30+? Kinda pushing the envelope to see what i can safely get away with.

I plan to have 20 azure and YT. Then a few devil, stripe and dominoes. Maybe 3 of each.Would that work?

Again, there will be tons of LR and lots of hiding places for each to claim their own. Hope i can pull it off.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man! Now you guys have me thinking! Maybe a school of damsels for my next tank... hmmm....

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Damsel only display tank, and it works GREAT! One of my favorite displays. Here is a video:

BioCube 32 Gallon: 7 Fish, information below = [personal name, common name, (max size) scientific name]
  • Bart - Bicolor Chromis (3.5”) Chromis margaritifer
  • Taz - Fiji Damsel Devilfish (3") Chrysiptera taupou
  • Edward - Scissortail Damsel (3") Neopomacentrus bankieri
  • Junior - 3 Striped Damsel (4") Dascyllus aruanus
  • Sarge - 4 Striped Damsel (3") Dascyllus melanurus
  • Scar - Caribbean Jewel Yellowtail Damsel (8") Microspathodon chrysurus
  • Spot - Beaugregory Damsel (4") Stegastes leucostictus [or maybe a Cocoa damselfish (5") Stegastes variabilis? or maybe a Longfin damselfish (5") Stegastes diencaeus?]
  • Venus - Purple/Green Tube Anemone (8”-12”) Cerianthus membranaceus
  • Charolette - Pink/Purple Tube Anemone
  • Sonnie - Orange/Green Tube Anemone
  • Clifford - Large Red Reef Lobster
  • Penny - Rainbow Urchin
  • Shadow - Black Long Spined Urchin
  • White Claw Hermit Crab
  • Small Purple Reef Lobster
Since this video I also added an Orange Tail Blue Damsel, so there are 8 Damsels in the tank now, all healthy, all eating, all healthy fins, but the Orange Tail was picked on for about 3-4 days, the first night he was in there he got kinda torn up, but they all have found their spots to be territorial over and the Orange Tail has taken the upper right hand back corner, and the front lower left corner.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, mate! I'd more LR if i were you to give them their own turf. Beautiful tube ane, how hardy are they? Do you feed them ?

Decat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, mate! I'd more LR if i were you to give them their own turf. Beautiful tube ane, how hardy are they? Do you feed them ?
Yeah, my problem is every time I add more live rock in there my 8" Red Reef Lobster demolishes it, haha. I will probably epoxy some new hiding places and install before I add the Yellow Damsel I just ordered for it. I'm in Houston as well, feel free to swing by and check it out in person. Tube Ane is super hardy, and since there is so much water flow in this tank I don't need to spot feed them, they just catch the floating food as the Damsels eat.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen shoals of the blue and black Springeri in reef tanks and was awesome. I have Springeri in my tank and is probably my favorite fish in the tank. I wouldn't hesitate to add more and probably will.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decat, where are you in Htown? So you have any other set up? Would love to see a video if you do.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's about 30+? Kinda pushing the envelope to see what i can safely get away with.

I plan to have 20 azure and YT. Then a few devil, stripe and dominoes. Maybe 3 of each.Would that work?

Again, there will be tons of LR and lots of hiding places for each to claim their own. Hope i can pull it off.
That plan sounds awesome!

Back