What “Reef Issues” have you MASTERED???

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times it takes a while to learn something and learn it the hard way as well! That being said, We learn it!!!
So my thorn in the flesh was eliminating an invasive coral call Blue Clove Polyps. They ended up covering way too much of my rock work. With the help of some reef2reef rock stars who had gone through the same dilemma, I followed much of their advice and ultimately ridded my reef tank of these pests. Needless to say, this issue has been MASTERED!!!

1. What about your experience?
F7542666-309C-4194-B543-BD564500FB8A.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these blue clove threads now and again. How did these come into your tank? Glad you were able to rid of it.

I was able to conquer Dino's . It felt really good knowing i was able to defeat it and avoid it in the future.
The blue clove polyps just showed up out of nowhere. I thought they were pretty. Wow what could go wrong? I’m guessing they came in on a coral. Fyi once in my tank a month later there would be a patch on the other side of the tank. I saw a 2” rock covered in them at a lfs just days ago and asked the guy there why are you selling this? Crazy!!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue clove polyps just showed up out of nowhere. I thought they were pretty. Wow what could go wrong? I’m guessing they came in on a coral. Fyi once in my tank a month later there would be a patch on the other side of the tank. I saw a 2” rock covered in them at a lfs just days ago and asked the guy there why are you selling this? Crazy!!!
I always laugh when I see noobs buying any type of star polyp. They are all invasive, it just seems as though the blue variant is especially bad.

I tore down a tank, and nuked the rock due to blue cloves.

Theres a human medication now that will kill them? Fendobenzole or something right?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always laugh when I see noobs buying any type of star polyp. They are all invasive, it just seems as though the blue variant is especially bad.

I tore down a tank, and nuked the rock due to blue cloves.

Theres a human medication now that will kill them? Fendobenzole or something right?
Yup! I dosed 4 grams of Fenbendazole on Super bowl Sunday back in early February. Everything but blue polyps are coming back beautifully!!! That stuff really works. Fyi it’s not for humans but it’s a dog dewormer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! I dosed 4 grams of Fenbendazole on Super bowl Sunday back in early February. Everything but blue polyps are coming back beautifully!!! That stuff really works. Fyi it’s not for humans but it’s a dog dewormer.
I knew it was something like that. I've glanced over the thread when I was bored once, but couldn't recall what the drug was actually used for.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mastered the art of growing algae in a reef tank.

But really I seem to be really good with inverts. I rarely lose a snail and they have beautiful custom color shells. My banded shrimp, cleaner and fire shrimp are huge like 4 to 5 inch huge so with all my mistakes and setbacks, I think I have beautiful inverts but maybe that is why I grow algae well too so they get a nutritious meal every day.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm... I've beat dinos and bryopsis. I don't think I'd be afraid of them if they showed back up. Not sure I'm a master there yet though. I kind of consider myself a "Jack of all trades (in the reef hobby), but master of none." LOL

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And everybody around you is like "why is that guy putting the ocean in his car?"
A lot of people ask me why I am putting ocean water in my car. I usually tell them that the local Government pays me to take water because of global warming the sea level is to high.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people ask me why I am putting ocean water in my car. I usually tell them that the local Government pays me to take water because of global warming the sea level is to high.
makes sense :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reluctant to say "mastered", because I continually learn something new. I would probably say "proficient" - with the caveat that I'll always be trying to build a better 'mouse trap'. So in terms of proficiency:
• I'm pretty good with the automation aspect of my tank (programming, etc.).
• I've never been able to cultivate any of the nasty algae (dinos, cyano, bryopsis, etc.), having to instead live vicariously through all the icky examples everyone provides on R2R (so presumably I've been doing something right for the past several years - I'm just not entirely sure what combination of things that may be :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: ).
• And I'm doing a decent job of keeping my fish alive, healthy and disease-free - in addition to striking the right balance so they're coexisting in relative harmoney.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey “Global warming “ is starting to pay off!!! Lol.

Back