What “show piece flasher” to add

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a “show piece” fish, I have a Scott’s fairy wrasse, two Lubbock’s (Both male and both are the two different variants), Radiant and a Jade wrasse.
I’m looking for that so called show piece fish and I have been bitten by the wrasse bug badly. I want to try a flasher however I don’t know which to go with. I would love some recommendations and also if you own them can I see pictures of yours.
I’m not looking for rarity but more colours and pop against the more neutral coloured fish.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half Bar flasher wrasse also known as a madagascar flasher wrasse imo one of the best looking but it will set you back some $ but again they are awsome!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half Bar flasher wrasse also known as a madagascar flasher wrasse imo one of the best looking but it will set you back some $ but again they are awsome!
Yeah, I’ve seen images of them. I honestly think Africa is home to the most colourful wrasses

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to beat a McCoskers for the money. Prettiest I've had is a Diamond tail but it wasn't 5 times prettier. I will sugest if whatever you get doesn't flash much adding another flasher of different species will usually trigger the flashing interaction.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to beat a McCoskers for the money. Prettiest I've had is a Diamond tail but it wasn't 5 times prettier. I will sugest if whatever you get doesn't flash much adding another flasher of different species will usually trigger the flashing interaction.
Okay, thankyou for the suggestion. I may not be able to get a second flasher wrasse - I have two wrasse growing out for this tank already unfortunately but hopefully the smallest male Lubbock flashing will trigger it

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a “show piece” fish, I have a Scott’s fairy wrasse, two Lubbock’s (Both male and both are the two different variants), Radiant and a Jade wrasse.
I’m looking for that so called show piece fish and I have been bitten by the wrasse bug badly. I want to try a flasher however I don’t know which to go with. I would love some recommendations and also if you own them can I see pictures of yours.
I’m not looking for rarity but more colours and pop against the more neutral coloured fish.
Also, other wrasse I have going into the tank eventually are:
- Naokos fairy,
- BSLW.

The Jade wrasse may get sent back in - Shes at 4” right now however an 8” wrasse in a 4x2x2 just feels cruel (I’ll maybe try get another smaller Halichoeres and a flasher if possible, I just don’t know yet)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eightline Flasher wrasse male, preferably a Supermale. Its not a good pic, and its from when I just introduced him, but, its a great looking wrasse. Mine is not a Supermale, he is just a male, BUT, the photo does not do it justice. ;)
Eightline Flasher wrasse.jpg
h

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eightline Flasher wrasse male, Preferably a Supermale. Its not a good pic, and its from when I just introduced him, but, its a great looking wrasse.
Eightline Flasher wrasse.jpg
have a male, not a Supermale and it is a great looking wrasse.
My LFS has so many of these guys in it’s unreal and I really like it, I just worry the body shape is too much like the Scott’s. I wish I had planned the wrasses out haha, I knew I wanted a mix however didn’t expect the LFS to get rare ones in (I mean, they have a Pintail and Pylei in at the same time) if I knew that I probably wouldnt have a Scott’s and have something else - Although, the Scott’s is a nice wrasse.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue flasher wrasse. Overly dramatic, but the male has awesome coloring.
That’s another amazing looking wrasse. I cant choose, I would love a tank big enough for more wrasse. This wrasse bug really is painful

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has so many of these guys in it’s unreal and I really like it, I just worry the body shape is too much like the Scott’s. I wish I had planned the wrasses out haha, I knew I wanted a mix however didn’t expect the LFS to get rare ones in (I mean, they have a Pintail and Pylei in at the same time) if I knew that I probably wouldnt have a Scott’s and have something else - Although, the Scott’s is a nice wrasse.
The Scott's Fairy wrasse is a butthead to most fairy wrasse's, but it shound't be to a flasher wrasse. That being said, my Pintail Fairy wrasse chases it off all the time. The Eighline Flasher wrasse is actually one of the bigger wrasses and will grow to 5+ inches, and my holds it own when the Pintail chases it.

I was going to get a Scott's Fairy wrasse until I read that they were aggressive to most fairy wrasse's. I have to much money invested in my wrasse collection and awaiting a Crescent Tail Fairy wrasse to add to my DT to take the chance of a Scott's wrasse killing them.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scott's Fairy wrasse is a butthead to most fairy wrasse's, but it shound't be to a flasher wrasse. That being said, my Pintail Fairy wrasse chases it off all the time. The Eighline Flasher wrasse is actually one of the bigger wrasses and will grow to 5+ inches, and my holds it own when the Pintail chases it.
Yeah, I know about the Scott’s being aggressive it’s strange though, he was fine when I added the second Lubbock a few months after he established. Nobody cared.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know about the Scott’s being aggressive it’s strange though, he was fine when I added the second Lubbock a few months after he established. Nobody cared.
I feel you would be fine with a Eightline Flasher wrasse. They may chase each other a little, but probably nothing more. The best thing to do, if your tank is big enough, is to add a few wrasses at once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell you would be fine with a Eightline Flasher wrasse. They may chase each other a little, but probably nothing more. The best thing to do, if your tank is big enough, is to add a few wrasses at once.
I might try that and wait for the other two to get to atleast 3” (A naoko and BSLW - If the Scott’s is aggressive then he’ll maybe be gone along with the Jade that has gained a hunting skill that’s risky for inverts)

For now I’ll try get a list of flashers and narrow it down as much as I can then it’s just who appears first in the LFS. I know there won’t be just one I’d want though.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another show piece Flasher wrasse is the Blue Flasher wrasse. Its a cheap wrasse that I feel is extremely underrated. I had one in QT and it decided to go Carpet Surfing...UGH!!! A few years later I am still waiting on another one.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another show piece Flasher wrasse is the Blue Flasher wrasse. Its a cheap wrasse that I feel is extremely underrated. I had one in QT and it decided to go Carpet Surfing...UGH!!! A few years later I am still waiting on another one.
I love the images I see of these but I’m guessing that’s from when they flash?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eightline Flasher wrasse flashes to the Blue/Green Chromis, Tangs, and other wrasses. I would guess that the Blue Flasher wrasse will do the same to any fish. My Pintail Fairy wrasse does the same as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another flasher I like is P. flavianalis and I have a list of 8 flashers, of course only one is able to be mine so I’ll consult with my money and see which ones can fit the bill. I’m always accepting more flashers to add to the list though!

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you're right. When not flashing all the flashers look pretty much the same.

Here's my Blue Flasher. I had five flashers when this was taken. Mine is also a 120g.

Last edited:

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this off of DD yesterday. Will be arriving Tuesday. It was labeled a Yellowfin hybrid. Talked to Hunter, the wrasse guy, and he says it is a flavianalis x filamentosus hybrid.

1633205113010.png

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back