What 3D printed stuff do you wish your LFS carried?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seriously, we're on a PUBLIC forum. Why make it a pizzing contest? So unnecessary on all sides.
He has commented on my led mounts designs in the past many times, and now he wants to make LED mounts for rail systems,,,, sounds to me like somebody wants to sell what I'm doing.. I've had many people in the past rip off my designs, and I'm tired of people doing that... If you look at my instagram, light mounts for LED is my niche.

I have no problem with people doing that, just do something original, and not what i'm doing... especially on this forum...

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks all; basically, If you read the first post, I was asking what you'd drop off at an LFS to sell.
I wasn't thinking of doing classifieds here because I was focusing on brick and mortar and my webpage.
I figure that will be enough to drive business. I'll probably do some adverts and competitions here but we'll see.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
He has commented on my led mounts designs in the past many times, and now he wants to make LED mounts for rail systems,,,, sounds to me like somebody wants to sell what I'm doing.. I've had many people in the past rip off my designs, and I'm tired of people doing that... If you look at my instagram, light mounts for LED is my niche.

I have no problem with people doing that, just do something original, and not what i'm doing... especially on this forum...
I meant Fluorescent tube lights like the one I designed for myself on my build page. I wont even touch extruded aluminum for awhile. Have other things I'll be doing; I don't plan on focusing on lighting unless the guys at the stores want me to.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all; basically, If you read the first post, I was asking what you'd drop off at an LFS to sell.
I wasn't thinking of doing classifieds here because I was focusing on brick and mortar and my webpage.
I figure that will be enough to drive business. I'll probably do some adverts and competitions here but we'll see.
Possibly mounting brackets for rimmed tanks would be awesome something that could be universal for most lighting arms and assemblies

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I meant Fluorescent tube lights like the one I designed for myself on my build page. I wont even touch extruded aluminum for awhile. Have other things I'll be doing; I don't plan on focusing on lighting unless the guys at the stores want me to.
excuse me for misunderstanding... I'm overprotective about my work, for that is how i make a living, and I have been burned in the past..

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its all good I probably will be too; I was just going to do NoopSyche shades because that's what I have. Plan on doing Kalkwasser stirrers filter floss rollers, cnc'd wood test-kit holders.

Trying to print a bunch of sand frag mounts to drop off at Blue Line Corals tomorrow.

Yeah; I don't like printing for 8020 extrusions - had enough doing it for printer mods and such...
I got aluminum C-channel extrusion for my next fluorescent light build.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Possibly mounting brackets for rimmed tanks would be awesome something that could be universal for most lighting arms and assemblies
I was surprised the NoopSyche mounting arm wasn't offered with optional plastic parts to tune it for different tank rims. replacing that little piece would be simple.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised the NoopSyche mounting arm wasn't offered with optional plastic parts to tune it for different tank rims. replacing that little piece would be simple.
Same but hey take advantage of it create a universal rim mount that can be added to any arm style mount i know several lighting arms that cant be mounted not just noop.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never was into 3d printing for the masses, I always just use my skills for one off designs for myself and close friends. Although I do have a treasure chest of designs that would benefit the community, and I used to put them up for free on thingiverse and printables, until I started getting reports that people were profiting from something that was supposed to be free for the community. Now most of my stuff sits with me, and whenever someone wants something, I will make it for them.

With that being said, it's always good to know what the community wants in the form of 3d printables.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I won an auction at Blue Line Corals last week or the week before and need to pick it up.... just trying to get something together to drop off. I left them with some 7" filter sock holders last time I went; It'll be interesting to see if they sold.

The same thing happened with my crawler wheel wells... One of the larger crawler YouTubers was using it in his video without accreditation. so at that point I decided to hang onto some of my designs.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light shades hands down. Anyone making one for a smat farm, holla!

Me.

12footwithfish.jpg

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
you can just wrap the frame with a lightweight pine wood panels and make a floating canopy, it will be much cheaper and look way better. best part is that you can paint it to match the stand
agreed!
The guys at BlueLineCoral use 1/2" or 1-1/2" insulation foam and build it with that and hot glue/foam glue and bbq skewers then use Dap DryDex to fill in the holes / even the edges before painting.

their install looked really sharp.

I don't know about it being cheaper though; even with the foam construction; I'm not going to be charging much for shades. They're more of a get my name out there type product for me. I'm going North of there.

Last edited:

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your LFS started carrying random 3D printed stuff, what would you like to see?
Nothing because i am 3D printing everything in my own. Most of the time i am also designing everything in my own too. LFS wouldn't be allowed to sell any 3d printed stuff anyway unless they are designing it themselves.
So I talked with a few decent reef stores in my area about printing stuff for them to sell and they were all for it.
I would be very careful with that. Unless you are designing this stuff yourself you aren't allowed to do that. For example Thingyverse has a very very stupid copyright policy. Even if the design has a commercial license. This only counts for thingyverse though.
For that reason i have allowed anyone to sell my designs manually in the description. Is this enough? Probably not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nothing because i am 3D printing everything in my own. Most of the time i am also designing everything in my own too. LFS wouldn't be allowed to sell any 3d printed stuff anyway unless they are designing it themselves.

I would be very careful with that. Unless you are designing this stuff yourself you aren't allowed to do that. For example Thingyverse has a very very stupid copyright policy. Even if the design has a commercial license. This only counts for thingyverse though.
Dor that reason i have allowed anyone to sell my designs manually in the description. Is this enough? Probably not.
I design all my own stuff. I've just formed an LLC and am talking with my lawyers about stuff like that. It sucks. so booooring.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back