What a Drop "OFF" Dead Gorgeous View! Would you set up a dropoff aquarium?

Would you ever consider setting up a "dropoff" reef aquarium?

• I already have a dropoff tank. Yay me!

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • Yes I would like to set one up in the future.

Votes: 230 51.2%
  • No (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 174 38.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 5.8%

• Total voters

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would consider it for the right room. I like this idea especially for a peninsula tank. Having said that I would have to put some serious thought into the stand and how I would fit gear underneath since it will shrink that real estate.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. I doubt I will even set up a bigger reef tank, but this would be the design I would like to work with, but I would be using the shallow part for mangroves and or macroalgae and a few favias, then high energy reef crest over the drop off.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a regular tank, build the stand to make it “look” like a drop off while building the floor shelf to just below the wood line using plexiglass or the frag rack material. That would cut serious cost and still accomplish the same thing.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do fish-only, and just have some dry rock and dead coral in my tank.

IMG_2167.JPG

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the "drop" idea because it gives a more natural look, however IMHO I don like the look of the side of the furniture, feels lees minimalist than the current rimless systems.

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most unique types of aquariums that has grown in popularity and in my opinion is one of the best looking types of reef tanks, is called the "dropoff" tank. These tanks provide some challenges with aquascaping and water flow but offer a beautiful and unique way to display a coral reef in our home! Today let's talk about dropoff tanks!

1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not?

2. If someone wanted to buy a drop off tank which one would you suggest?

If you have a dropoff tank already please share a photo in this thread!

image via @Florian_W Check out the thread here.
DSC_3471_zpswj4qsdor.jpg

DSC_3278_zpsjl5bqrmf.jpg

Thanks guys for sharing my old tank!
Really loved it but don’t know if I would build another one
If yes I would ably a lot of changes and rethink a lot regarding flow and size of the drop

thanks again

cheers
Flo

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While these are beautiful setups, 2 things need to be kept in mind:

1) Does your home have right layout for this to work? Probably better for an open floor layout than a traditional room by room home layout
2) Going to be more difficult to sell these aquariums if you every decide to change/upgrade or leave the hobby
In my honest opinion those tanks only work as peninsula
I like this idea. But
1) I have acrylic and want glass. I am not sure you can make a reliable glass dropoff.

2) I have no idea how thick of acrylic is required or how to calculate it. I wouldn't trust a manufacture unless they have experience, and these aren't popular enough for ANY manufacture to have enough experience.
This tank was glass!

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no. I have a 180 and would find it even more difficult to perform maintenance if it had a deeper drop-off. I would have to then turn up the AI on one end to configure PAR. Flow would be a concern. Would have to have the rocks climb to the upper level to allow the crabs full movement. Maybe I wouldn't shelf it and keep the crabs below so they don't go to the upper section and kill the snails! Maybe I now have second thoughts!

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a tank they're setting up that I think I might want to replicate in the future if I go peninsula instead of in-wall [when I make my "big tank" upgrade].

PXL_20210426_210937134.jpg
The picture doesn't do the size and scope of the aquascape justice... It's easily 6' off the ground at the top of the tank

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most unique types of aquariums that has grown in popularity and in my opinion is one of the best looking types of reef tanks, is called the "dropoff" tank. These tanks provide some challenges with aquascaping and water flow but offer a beautiful and unique way to display a coral reef in our home! Today let's talk about dropoff tanks!

1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not?

DSC_3471_zpswj4qsdor.jpg

DSC_3278_zpsjl5bqrmf.jpg

@Michael Gray

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC_3471_zpswj4qsdor.jpg

DSC_3278_zpsjl5bqrmf.jpg

I personally think they look rubbish

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no. I have a 180 and would find it even more difficult to perform maintenance if it had a deeper drop-off. I would have to then turn up the AI on one end to configure PAR. Flow would be a concern. Would have to have the rocks climb to the upper level to allow the crabs full movement. Maybe I wouldn't shelf it and keep the crabs below so they don't go to the upper section and kill the snails! Maybe I now have second thoughts!
I think that the lighting would be the same. You would just have to put the lower light stuff in the drop. And as far as the crabs not coming up to the upper level, they do they climb rocks. So I would situate the Rocks going off the drop wall and make it look more natural like it really is a drop-off. Gargonians would do great at that level off the drop, mushrooms and then the other low-light stuff would be at the bottom. at the top of the tank would be SPS in all the other light loving stuff.

I would love to do a tank like this I've been looking at them for a while. My problem is I plan to move in the next year. Of course I've been saying that for a couple of years now and covid really messed that all up. LOL
But I would only do one of these tanks after the move when I'm permanently in my next house cuz I don't want to move it again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back