What a Drop "OFF" Dead Gorgeous View! Would you set up a dropoff aquarium?

Would you ever consider setting up a "dropoff" reef aquarium?

• I already have a dropoff tank. Yay me!

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • Yes I would like to set one up in the future.

Votes: 229 51.1%
  • No (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 174 38.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 5.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the most unique types of aquariums that has grown in popularity and in my opinion is one of the best looking types of reef tanks, is called the "dropoff" tank. These tanks provide some challenges with aquascaping and water flow but offer a beautiful and unique way to display a coral reef in our home! Today let's talk about dropoff tanks!

1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not?

2. If someone wanted to buy a drop off tank which one would you suggest?

If you have a dropoff tank already please share a photo in this thread!

image via @Florian_W Check out the thread here.
DSC_3471_zpswj4qsdor.jpg

DSC_3278_zpsjl5bqrmf.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would probably never have one because they are expensive and the flow is hard to regulate
Drop offs are literally no different than any tank.
Having owned two different ones- lighting and flow was very manageable and tank Easy to maintain

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not?

one of high quality and wall thickness the second one now and absolutely love the concept and unique design.

One that is if high quality and good wall thickness with built in filter making it easier to maintain.

have one up for sale right now

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they look great as long as I'm not the person who has to maintain it. I don't know how I would work on a 4 foot deep tank. Snorkeling not an option. If I was ever in a position where I had someone else to do the maintenance, I'd go for it.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them. But then I love just about every iteration of marine tank.

would I have one? Doubtful. I don’t know how I’d convince m’lady to let me have more than one tank in the house. Heck, I’m not sure how I’ll convince her a QT tank is necessary

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes would like to set one up in future ( probably would never do it though tbh.
As i would like it to be large as possible and getting it upto my 2nd floor flat seems impossible without taking complete window out and hiring a crane.( would need take all frame out not just glass)
I do like them as i read often we like to take little piece of reef into our homes.so could have the reef flat.
Reef drop off zone ( the wall )
Sea bed.
Excuse names as dont know correct terminology.
Nice strong gyre facing the drop off to create reef surges.
Lower light corals on bed at bottom of drop off.with all different lights placed at different points in tank or lights strong enough and turn intensity up or down could see it very do-able.
Think would look lovely but would take up so much room as would want big one to replicate different flow and light areas so not really do- able in my current property and would cost me 2 times as much as an american doing the exact same ( unless im missing something with prices but my prices 40- 50% higher it seems) :(

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not? I would not. Whereas it is novel, the effect is not real and we are attempting to create a natural reef scene. If you want a drop-off reef, it can be achieved by thoughtful rock arrangement. Just personal preference.

N/A

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most unique types of aquariums that has grown in popularity and in my opinion is one of the best looking types of reef tanks, is called the "dropoff" tank. These tanks provide some challenges with aquascaping and water flow but offer a beautiful and unique way to display a coral reef in our home! Today let's talk about dropoff tanks!

If you have a dropoff tank already please share a photo in this thread!

image via @Florian_W Check out the thread here.
DSC_3471_zpswj4qsdor.jpg

DSC_3278_zpsjl5bqrmf.jpg

Beautiful example here! Personally, I do not see myself setting up a drop off tank, but seeing some like this tends to help persuade me slightly LOL!

I always enjoyed Inappropriate Reefer's drop off with the concept of the green star polyps growing along the drop glass panel. Fun discussion!

Typhon

Force of Nature
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I voted "No". I don't have anywhere in my house where a drop tank would be able to display.

Also, I believe managing flow and waste removal would be difficult. And most drop tanks seem to be more narrow (Design issue?). I like wide tanks for aquascaping.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back