What a Drop "OFF" Dead Gorgeous View! Would you set up a dropoff aquarium?

Would you ever consider setting up a "dropoff" reef aquarium?

• I already have a dropoff tank. Yay me!

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • Yes I would like to set one up in the future.

Votes: 230 51.2%
  • No (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 174 38.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 5.8%

• Total voters

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought I'd make a small drop off tank. Those Dynamax drop off aquariums are the most overpriced tanks with inbuilt sumps if they were a 10'th of the price I'd consider getting one. I had the idea of making a small Nano drop off, but after setting up a 90 liter Marine tank, It's hard to go out and buy another ATO especially for a Nano. I would need glass panes and reef-safe silicone to give it an internal sump. I just cbf drilling or ransacking my garage looking for a diamond tip glass drill bit or paying for one. I like saving money :)

Spinal Compass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cylinder tanks 36 inches deep, a triangle tank 30 inches deep, cube 30 inches deep, six sided rectangle tank with the front corners cut off giving two more sides (my 90 gallon quarantine tank) and a 180 gallon rectangle tank (1400 gallons total). I love variety of shapes and sizes.

I would love to build a drop off cylinder tank. If I were to build a drop off tank then it would be to take advantage of multiple par levels for various corals. I would like the deep end to be 36 inches deep and the shallow end to be 18 inches deep. The overflow on a cylinder is always in the middle of the tank and so the dual return would be in the shallow end going in opposite directions meeting up in the deep end producing a downward flow into the deep end then rebounding back up the flat side to the overflow. It would be nice to have it on the edge of a split level sunken living room with an adjacent dinning room. The top of the tank should be at standing eye level in the living room and viewable from seated level from the dinning room. The tank should be 6 feet in diameter with a large 300 gallon sump in the basement. Therefore, it would be best to build the house around the tank.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the shallow part be where the skimmer and all the sump workings be located? You STILL need space for that stuff regardless where you put it. I guess with that size tank you would be plumbing into another room.
Agreed, it's actually more like adding volume rather than taking it away. With my design, if it was a straight rectangular shape, I wouldn't have had enough space to accommodate my rollermat and skimmer without making the cabinet considerably larger.
20210506_074953.jpg

Last edited:

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer to have a peninsula style tank and load up on sand and rocks and have it gradually taper off. Otherwise I would take a cube and just build in a platform and hide it from the outside. The idea of a tank that is not square with extra stress points is just not something I would be comfortable with but I don't like sunroofs / moonroofs in my car for the same reason. Just one more thing to fail.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this tank t, it is going to be amazing.
Yeah I can't wait for it to actually be set up and running... if they make it a full reef it'll be pretty awesome [like their PACKED SPS tank at the entrance].

I really like Coral Corral much better than any of the other Tampa LFS's. The staff are very patient and knowledgable in my experience and they don't mind just "chatting" about what you've got going on and giving you their tips/tricks and opinions. They're about 20mins out of the way for me compared to some other stores but every time I go to a different LFS I find myself regretting not just making the drive...

I'll try to remember to get some more/better pics of the aquascape when I go in next time because my picture really doesn't do it justice... so much potential!

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a really neat/fascinating idea. I voted, “no”... just tbh, it’s not practical for me. If money wasn’t an issue, I would be on board. I would need a different home, different setup, and then there’s my size (5’2) vs. 4 ft. + deep tank... I already have trouble reaching/cleaning and getting wet in Dirty tank, yucky water :p
So, I’ll pass :)

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seriously contemplating doing it as my 20th anniversary of reefing tank. I’d love to do something that was wide (30”) reasonably long (72”) and went from shallow (maybe 16”) to deep (36”).

I don’t see it as “wasted space” because I want to limit the water volume (anything over 250 I consider unmanageable from a water change perspective). It’s an opportunity to have some deeper water and more space front to back without paying for it with a 300 gallon plus volume.

I’d also do the exact opposite that everyone else is suggesting, and blow the light out at the deep end :) A couple of a500 kessils and let the twigs climb over the course of several years.

My main issue isn’t really cost, but finding someone who could reliably build and get it to me. I would prefer glass over acrylic in general but the thought of getting something that shape shipped does not, as Marie Kondo says, spark joy.

Any thoughts on a manufacturer, preferably near Philly that would deliver :)

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it's actually more like adding volume rather than taking it away. With my design, if it was a straight rectangular shape, I wouldn't have had enough space to accommodate my rollermat and skimmer without making the cabinet considerably larger.
20210506_074953.jpg
Where is the tank from?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t due to how you can get a cheaper tank with SO much more room in. I find drop offs to remove quite a bit of swim room whereas a regular tank has the same dimensions but extra swim room. I guess if you own fish found on the reef drop offs it could be more natural to them but I find many of the fish we own don’t do this to I often avoid it. Sure if there was a chance I could own fish ONLY found on drop offs I may set one up but that’s a hard to find chance.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only for what I deem the perfect room separator peninsular drop-off. Won't happen but if I could sure thing looks great

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Drop offs are literally no different than any tank.
Having owned two different ones- lighting and flow was very manageable and tank Easy to maintain
imagine this would be the best way to go with a mixed reef too! Your low/zero light corals can go in the drop off.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most unique types of aquariums that has grown in popularity and in my opinion is one of the best looking types of reef tanks, is called the "dropoff" tank. These tanks provide some challenges with aquascaping and water flow but offer a beautiful and unique way to display a coral reef in our home! Today let's talk about dropoff tanks!

1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not?

2. If someone wanted to buy a drop off tank which one would you suggest?

If you have a dropoff tank already please share a photo in this thread!

image via @Florian_W Check out the thread here.
DSC_3471_zpswj4qsdor.jpg

DSC_3278_zpsjl5bqrmf.jpg

Love the look of a drop off tank, and while I'd love one I don't know if I'd spend that much money on a specialty tank, though a deep reef flashlight fish tank would look amazing in a dropoff.... I like to do similar things with my rockwork though

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back