What about keeping eels in a reef aquarium? Would you do it?

Would you keep an eel in a reef tank?

• 1) Nope! I don't think it would work.

Votes: 109 39.9%
  • 2) Yep, but only in a predator reef.

Votes: 67 24.5%
  • 3) Yes! It can be done successfully! (Thoughts posted in the thread.)

Votes: 97 35.5%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love eels!! I love reef tanks!! Can we bring these 2 together? How might that be doable? Today's Question Of The Day:

1) Would you keep an eel in a reef tank?

2) What kind would you keep?

3) What would you keep with it?

Photo by @FeliciaLynn

1 - qotd.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Would you keep an eel in a reef tank? After my experience with I would not. I love them, but when they get larger your fish choices become very limited.

2) What kind would you keep? I wouldn't risk it because I like smaller fish like gobies and blennies and also shrimp. I used to have one in my first reef tank. I couldn't tell you what kind it was. It was a reddish brown color and it was the only one like it I've seen at an LFS and it was 20 years ago. It was a model citizen the first couple years. When it got to about 18", it started attacking fish. I would find 4"-6" fish with bite marks and chunks missing. It ate a lawnmower blenny and a small goby. Eventually the fish got smart. They would huddle together in one upper corner of the tank at night when the eel was on the move. Had to rehome it as it was terrifying the rest of my fish.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been thinking about getting a snowflake moray, but I do worry about some of my smaller fish. I haven't decided if that should be a full on rejection of the idea or if I should incorporate some intentional practices to minimize any issues with predation.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on which species, but I've been thinking about designing my new 55G scape around a group of 3 Spotted Garden Eels, none aggressive, and look pretty cute.

Other options would be a Barred Moray if I had the tank, since they're like a Mini Zebra Eel to me, or a Blue Ribbon since they're too cool to not go unnoticed

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive put an eel in every tank ive owned. As long as you plan your livestock accordingly theres no issue. HOWEVER eels produce insane amounts of waste especially when they get bigger and you will need to have excessive amounts of nutrient export either through water changes or an extra large refugium to keep the nitrates and phosphates low enoigh for coral, especially sps.

20200615_135645.jpg
20200519_143029.jpg
20200503_171203.jpg

Cre8or30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a White Eyed Moray eel. He was small so decided to get him and when he got bigger, turn him n for credit…. So much for that plan. Caught him trying to eat my Blue Spot Jawfish (eventually he went Porcelain Surfing) so I got him out. I may go Dwarf Eel next

Attachments

• BBFC3DE8-9154-4070-BC05-41E74EF57B63.jpeg
    BBFC3DE8-9154-4070-BC05-41E74EF57B63.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 112

Popkorn0407

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was fine until he grow and start eat warsse, clown, chromis, anthias, i was fedding him alot of food full freeze shrimp scarlop ect. to not have that appen but he did...

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love eels!! I love reef tanks!! Can we bring these 2 together? How might that be doable? Today's Question Of The Day:

Photo by @FeliciaLynn

1 - qotd.jpeg
Yes I would keep an eel in my reef tank especially a snowflake eel, they generally do not bother other fish or crabs or snails as long as they are fed good. I had a snowflake eel and he never went after my fish or inverts. Of course I know that not every eel is the same and it is a chance you have to be willing to take.

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a black edge in mine, As long as you plan around it and make sure stuff is stable you shouldn't have any issues. I will caveat this with saying no small fish or inverts, but as mine is a pred reef hes been a model citizen.

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @FeliciaLynn

1 - qotd.jpeg
I've had my Snowflake Eel in my reef for 9+ years. He has eaten Emerald crabs & Shrimp. Hasn't bothered anything else. Occasionally he has knocked something over. He was originally buddies with a large Golden Head Sleeper Goby, they stayed side by side in a burrow, eel stayed with goby for 2 days after it died ( about 4 years ago) Love my eel, but think he is going to die soon, about 5 weeks ago he stopped eating. Before that he never missed a meal, ate every 4th day. I assume it's just old, doesn't seem to have lost weight, much less active this past year.

Ray Emhardt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an undulated Moray in a 75 gallon tank for 14 months seems content I feed twice a week whole silversides and hasn't bothered any tank mates to my amazement. Very shy doesn't put head out of reef except to eat. Barebottom tank so kids love to spy from underneath to see where he is

REEFDAZE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept this beautiful ribbon eel in my 90 gallon mixed reef for 3 years until I broke the tank down and sold the livestock.
It never bothered any of its tankmates.
I miss it dearly and I'd love to find another one for my new tank when the time comes.

Attachments

• 779blueribboneel.jpg
    779blueribboneel.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 158
Back