What about keeping eels in a reef aquarium? Would you do it?

Would you keep an eel in a reef tank?

• 1) Nope! I don't think it would work.

Votes: 109 39.9%
  • 2) Yep, but only in a predator reef.

Votes: 67 24.5%
  • 3) Yes! It can be done successfully! (Thoughts posted in the thread.)

Votes: 97 35.5%

• Total voters

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing it now
tempImageZB9b3A.png
Looks hungry!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I am currently keeping a white eyed moray in my tank, and he is a model citizen! Unless you’re a crab or shrimp, then you’re lunch.

It can definitely be done, though you have to take certain things into consideration. Pebble tooths will eat your crabs and shrimp, though will leave hermits and snails alone (unless the hermit is swapping shells). Fang tooths are a different matter entirely, as they will also prey on small fish. Can be solved by stocking larger, aggressive species and feeding it well, though nothing is ever a guarantee of course. They also produce a ton of waste, so you may need to up your water change schedule or have some sort of nitrate scrubber. They’re also big, powerful fish, so they could knock over unsecured frags.

Attachments

• CE2BE387-9985-4712-B8F6-B8BD1262FC95.jpeg
    CE2BE387-9985-4712-B8F6-B8BD1262FC95.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 36

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally! I want to try some smaller fangtooths (banana eel probably, or maybe a dragon) once my tank matures a bit. Kind of rules out smaller fish and almost all inverts, though.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is an absolute yes. You may have to alter some of the ornamental inverts you want but a zebra moray for instance doesn’t eat fish and no eel eats corals. A reef tank is how the owner defines it and is only limited by the compatibility. Eels will not eat coral. But my bother fish or other inverts. The Gymnothorax is the least hospitable towards other moving tank mates but the Gymnomuraena genus and echidna can be great along with the genus Scuticaria which are the snake eels. Very positive results I’ve had with snake eels for smaller tanks.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep a Zebra Eel in our reef tank along with a 15+ inch Engineer Goby. The rock scape provides shelter, but is positioned in a way to be somewhat viewed when guests are over.

20200806_072827.jpg

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add….even though I have a big zebra moray, I likely wouldn’t put one in a tank again. They are just plain boring and too hard on water quality. Mine stays in his cave for days after he eats and even when he’s hungry, he just does a few laps around the tank. I’d rather have more action in the tank if I’m going to put such a dent in my water quality.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive put an eel in every tank ive owned. As long as you plan your livestock accordingly theres no issue. HOWEVER eels produce insane amounts of waste especially when they get bigger and you will need to have excessive amounts of nutrient export either through water changes or an extra large refugium to keep the nitrates and phosphates low enoigh for coral, especially sps.

20200615_135645.jpg
20200519_143029.jpg
20200503_171203.jpg
very beautiful eel. Ive never had the money or tank for a dragon but r by far the most beautiful to me.Thanks for shareing

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zebra and snowflake and they are no problem. However, they are always hiding unless they are really hungry so their value of enjoyment versus their biological loading and feeding needs makes them less desirable than another nice fish. They won't hunt as they are used to feeding tongs, so even when hungry the other critters are safe. The zebra can be hand fed but the snowflake is too nervous and fast and can injure the fingers while biting for shrimp. They don't jump out of the aquarium either.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so surprised the NOPE! is leading this thread. Since I’ve been rocking a Hawaiian dwarf in my mixed reef since September of 2018. It Definitely! can be done. This guy can eat a full sized silverside. I’ve got all kinds of live stock this guy doesn’t hurt anything. Shrimps, hermits, snails, sally crab, small fish too( leopard wrasse, Anthias, Mandarin, cleaner wrasse.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I have had two dwarf morays in my 150 gallon mixed reef for about 3 years and have never had a problem.
Did you add the second later? Or where they introduced together? Been wanting to add another more yellow than the one I have.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised no one else has brought it up. I've been in the hobby 20+ years, and I've always wanted an eel, but I've never been confident my entire system is sealed. I have a lid and egg crate over my return, but it isn't impossible for a fish to get passed either. Are they really as bad of escape artists as people say?

Back