What additions have you done to your Waterbox?

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I love the Waterbox 100.3.
Here are my recent equipment additions:

1) Added an 11g ATO from Advanced Acrylics since the built in ATO chamber was on the smaller side.

2) Converted ATO chamber into a refugium with submersible Tunze light. I used black acrylic sheets to shield the light and plastic coated waterproof magnets to hold them in place inside the refugium area.

3) Added doser above the refugium area (Coral Box) on shelf and 2 Trigger dosing chambers.

c7a41edef512cd6538fb2089f6a60a24.jpg

PookieGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do the fuge? Are you just letting it spill back into the other chambers? I have a waterbox 130 and would really like to add a refugium.

OP
OP
MURedhawk

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows that little pocket shelf holding up. I have the same doser. Thats a pretty solid idea!
So far so good. I used 2 pocket shelves and placed doser in the center. I then used black duct tape to secure them to each other. Each one I believe supports roughly 2.5lbs. I then used Velcro to secure the Doser to the shelf and an extra Velcro strip to support the doser from above connected to the stand wall in case the shelf would fail. It has been up about 3 weeks.

OP
OP
MURedhawk

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you do the fuge? Are you just letting it spill back into the other chambers? I have a waterbox 130 and would really like to add a refugium.

I used the following:

1) Sicce Micra - mini pump (provides ~90g/hr flow
2) Flex tubing from pump up and connected hard plumbing to create a 180 degree over the glass edge
I then ran hard PVC tube to almost the bottom of the refugium (old ATO chamber)
The hard PVC going over the top of the edge of glass keeps it stable unlike soft tubing.
3) Tunze submersible light
From BRS
www.bulkreefsupply.com
waterproof-6500k-led-fixture-8821

4) Black plastic like acrylic that I cut with industrial scissors to cover insides of refugium (creates total shield so algae won’t grow in other areas of the sump
From Grainger
POLYMERSHAPES
sp.png
Sheet Stck, 24", W, 24", L, 0.063", T
5) Waterproof plastic magnets to secure the black plastic
B888PC-BLK - From K&J Magnetics

It flows over the edges into the center and return chamber so hopefully it will add some copepods back to the system. I hope this helps. It has worked so far. (I set it up about 1.5 months ago.) It probably only helps a little with nutrients since it is only about 4g area in refugium, but still fun to set up and grow macroalgae. I have caulerpa and chaeto growing in it.

OP
OP
MURedhawk

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MURedhawk Is that the reefbreeders light on your tank? If it is, thought on it?

Yes, I have the Reefbreeders Photon V2.
The lights have been great (about 2/3 year running) so far.
They are easy to program (remote control) and provide great light spread.
I have a mixed reef tank and previously used AquaticLife T5HO for almost 6 years and they were great as well, but it is a pain to change the lights about once/year with bulbs averaging close to $100 total each year. With my new Waterbox 100.3, I got a great package deal from my local aquatics store (Ocean State Aquatics) including the Reefbreeders lights.
Prior to getting these lights, I had looked at the AI LEDs (recently not great reviews on BRS site) and Ecotech (really nice, but about twice the cost as the Reefbreeders).
Probably cannot go wrong with any of these, but I’m overall happy with the purchase.

Back