What additives should I have on hand for fish, soft, sps, lps tank?

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I will need to test before doing additives. I don't have a LFS nearby and want to get some supplies in advance. My tank has been cycling and I want to be ready as I stock my tank.
What additives should I have on hand for fish, soft, sps, and lps reef tank? I obviously won't have all of that to start. But I want to be prepared since it could take days to be delivered. I've researched to the point that I think I'm now overthinking everything and just getting confused with all of the additives and chemicals I've seen! Water conditioner? Nitrifying bacteria? Kent/Fritz/SeaChem additives? I'm so overwhelmed. Please advise?

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem advantage calcium, reef carbonate, and reef plus in my tank. I have a mixed reef tank with mostly SPS and 4 clams.

I would recommend using RO water rather than tap water+water conditioner. If you don't want to, seachem prime is a great conditioner.

OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem advantage calcium, reef carbonate, and reef plus in my tank. I have a mixed reef tank with mostly SPS and 4 clams.

I would recommend using RO water rather than tap water+water conditioner. If you don't want to, seachem prime is a great conditioner.
I'm using the RODI water. So I shouldn't need any kind of conditioners?

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the RODI water. So I shouldn't need any kind of conditioners?
If you are using RODI water, you won't need anything else besides salt at a minimum. Some people don't use any additives and just stay up on weekly water changes, 10% at a minimum. That's all you need to get going. As you add more and more coral, your coral will use more and more nutrients and you will need to start dosing. I personally use Red Sea Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium through a doser. I also add Phytoplankton and Red Sea AB+ daily; however, those are not required. The more LPS and SPS you have in your tank will require you to dose more Alkalinity and Calcium.

I don't have that many SPS, so I am limited in my knowledge of what they require on top of what I already said. I am sure someone who has a SPS dominate tank can chime and in add to it. Good luck to you!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI, IO salt, Arm and Hammer baking soda for ALK, BRS calcium chloride for CAL, and BRS magnesium sulfate, and BRS magnesium chloride for MAG additive.

Other then fish food, thats all that goes into my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back