What advice would you give for upgrading to a larger tank?

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on upgrading my 55 gallon mixed reef tank sometime before Christmas with a brand new tank. However, yesterday I found a 120 gallon Waterbox that is super clean, fully stocked with corals, fish and rock that I don't know if I can pass up the opportunity. I would keep some but not all of what is in the new tank. What advice would you give for moving, swapping out the keeping and not keeping and setting up the new tank? There is so much to think about with taking in a whole set up like the water, sand and inhabitants versus just putting everything you already have in a new tank. I welcome any advice and suggestions...thanks!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy it unless the owner keeps a reef journal and can tell you exactly what diseases/problems the tank has had…and exactly how sump and plumbing have been operating.

Or negotiate a great price and assume that the entire tank has to be broken down and given a deep clean. And expect “surprises”.

Upvote 0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I was planning on upgrading my 55 gallon mixed reef tank sometime before Christmas with a brand new tank. However, yesterday I found a 120 gallon Waterbox that is super clean, fully stocked with corals, fish and rock that I don't know if I can pass up the opportunity. I would keep some but not all of what is in the new tank. What advice would you give for moving, swapping out the keeping and not keeping and setting up the new tank? There is so much to think about with taking in a whole set up like the water, sand and inhabitants versus just putting everything you already have in a new tank. I welcome any advice and suggestions...thanks!
buy it man. those are clean tanks 1. and its a 100 gallon 2.

If you plan on running quarantine obviously breaking the tank down and starting over is the way to go. but i would buy it

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I would go for it!

There is plenty of information here on how to do this. Perhaps someone like @brandon429 can chime in on how to do it with the best success.

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's what you want, go buy it quickly before someone else does. Don't waste time worried about the move bc those things always work themselves out in one form or another on the backend. You want it? Move quick

Upvote 0

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd plan the move closely and go for it. If ur in for quarantining then setting g up a large qt for corals and one for fish is the way to go. U can then move rocks and scape the tank and run it empty for few weeks to make sure tank is clean...
Be ready for large frequent water changes for the q tanks...

Upvote 0

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect the rocks closely for any pest issues like aiptasia, flatworms, or hard to remove algae. When you get it, rinse and shake the rocks off a ton to get all the debris off them in a bucket of clean saltwater. Plan on just tossing the sand and replacing with new. you don’t want to inherit a nitrate/phosph headache If they didn’t maintain the tank well and dont take their word on it. Clear water doesn’t necessarily mean clean water.

inspect the silicone seams closely and look for bubbles or any early sign of separation. look for chips or cracks. Don’t assume there are none because it looks nice. Inspect the stand for water damage inside, top, and back.

Upvote 0

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased Full stocked Reef Tanks more than a few times, I find that it is a great way to upgrade and great a great deal, I would move forward if it looks like it has been well taken care of. Good Luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos that I received of the tank have the actinic lights on. At first you don't notice however my son pointed out some green bubble algae and the sand looks discolored. What looks super clean is the sump and plumbing under the tank. She says it is maintained 2x a month. I am going to go see it first but it is a really good deal regardless. I may just move my 55 to another location in my home and keep everything going there. Set this one up with new sand and sell off what I don't want and then start the transition of my current tank. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a fully stocked tank is great but personally, I rather a clean slate. That way I can build it up myself to my preference. With that being said, I just upgraded from Waterbox 65.4 to a 120 gallon tank a few weeks ago :)

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back