OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant will kill turf algae in about 4 - 6 weeks.

Yeah I heard vibrant works for almost everything. It's hard to get in Canada.
I am also a little afraid to what will happen after vibrant kills all the algae. What kind of algae will pop when I stop vibrant...
That will probably be my last resort.

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, do you know how you got it? It might help to know how it came in, might could pinpoint the exact algae easier. If it came in on live rock, was it from the Gulf?

I have no idea where it came from...
Probably a frag plug since all my rocks are Marco rocks.

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true Margarita Snails (not Turbo or Astrea sold as Margarita) generally have eaten all types of Algae for me.

Also what type of Hermit crabs do you have? Some are pickier than others IME.

Scarlets are the least picky, but also I had a Halloween Hermit eat a Red Turf Algae none of the others would touch.

I always try to diversify even my hermit crew lol I get Scarlet, Blue Legs, Halloween, and any other little neat ones I can find when I'm shopping around.

I have mainly blue leg hermit crab and like 2 blue eyed hermit crab

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I heard vibrant works for almost everything. It's hard to get in Canada.
I am also a little afraid to what will happen after vibrant kills all the algae. What kind of algae will pop when I stop vibrant...
That will probably be my last resort.
I had cyano after the turf. My nitrates and phosphates went to 0, so I'm not sure if that caused the cyano or the vibrant. Once I got my tank to correct parameters I have a few algae here and there, but not really an outbreak.

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano after the turf. My nitrates and phosphates went to 0, so I'm not sure if that caused the cyano or the vibrant. Once I got my tank to correct parameters I have a few algae here and there, but not really an outbreak.

I did fight cyano for a long time.
I had 0 nitrate/phosphate and I introduced amino acid..... wow ! Instant cyano !
I tried vaccuming
I tried increase nitrate phosphate ( they are now stable at 3ppm nitrate and 0.03 phosphate.)
I tried chemiclean.

Nothing seemed to work. So the last thing I tried is Cyano-Clean, and it worked ! I'm now cyano free.

So I hope I don't have to fight cyano again lol At least I know a way that works to kill it...

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tell everyone it’s GSP. Problem solved.

LoL man I already have to tell people that this is actually an urchin !!!!
He is carying GSP hahaha
20200928_204509.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did fight cyano for a long time.
I had 0 nitrate/phosphate and I introduced amino acid..... wow ! Instant cyano !
I tried vaccuming
I tried increase nitrate phosphate ( they are now stable at 3ppm nitrate and 0.03 phosphate.)
I tried chemiclean.

Nothing seemed to work. So the last thing I tried is Cyano-Clean, and it worked ! I'm now cyano free.

So I hope I don't have to fight cyano again lol At least I know a way that works to kill it...
The theory is if you kill off the turf algae too quickly you have unused n/po and cyano happens. I really think mine was due to no n/po. If you are already stable I would think you would be ok. FWIW vibrant also says it will get rid of the cyano, I didn't use it for that, just sucked it out. I didn't think it was really removing my turf algae, but took a photo and then one 4 weeks later and wow. It was reduces by 75% and it was just slow enough I didn't really notice.

bwelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooo they reach 16 inches ! That's way too big lol
I have the space but I don't want to look at that ugly 16 inches thing haha
Plus I will have to feed that big slug !
My sea hare was about the half the size of a snicker bar and cleaned a 120 gallon with lots of turf algae, a 46 gallon bow front ,and was in my 210 when he died. He cleaned everything from rock to sand bed.

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sea hare was about the half the size of a snicker bar and cleaned a 120 gallon with lots of turf algae, a 46 gallon bow front ,and was in my 210 when he died. He cleaned everything from rock to sand bed.

That sound nice.
I would have to see if my LFS would take it back since I don't want a monster like that.
I don't know if once it eat all the algae if that algae will grow back or not.

bwelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sound nice.
I would have to see if my LFS would take it back since I don't want a monster like that.
I don't know if once it eat all the algae if that algae will grow back or not.
Mine didn’t after I started running gfo and changing it out more regularly

OP
OP
S

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually trim the algae. Try a few Gold Ring Cowries, or other Cowries.

I found a LFS that can order some Money/Ring Cowries. I will try 10 of them, we'll see.

I also ordered a Blue Velvet Nudibranch so it can eat my red planaria !

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant took 7 weeks for hair algea did nothing to my bryopsis. . Dino x
Will take care of it and make your tank shine. Just follow the directions to the T. My corals don't mind it they seem to be growing .

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS went out of business before I could get what I ordered !

BUT, I tried fluconazole. Man it took about 3 treatment and I am algae free since then !
For the red planaria, they disapeared with the algae !

20211211_135839.jpg
I like that tank. Tasteful.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with DWelch - I have a 3 inch Dolabella that I rotate between 3 tanks. when he has done his job on one, I find it grazing high on the glass and I move it to another.
Frankly the only thing I have found that will take down and eliminate established tufts of filamentous - and I have a cowry, fuzzy chiton and all sort of urchins and others

And if this thing, gets too big, he's going back to the store from whence came, they will be happy to see him

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back