What algae is this? I can suction the sand it’ll be back within two hours?

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F0C4B08-585C-457B-A771-EE2E67B8B961.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be diatoms. Is your tank new? If so, diatoms are normal and go away on their own. How are the nutrients in your tank?

OP
OP
W

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be diatoms. Is your tank new? If so, diatoms are normal and go away on their own. How are the nutrients in your tank?
It’s almost 3 months old, have snails two hermits, two emeralds and a tiger pistol shrimp. I guess it is considered new still.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months is still well within the time frame for succession and maturation from one algae type to others on the surfaces.
Also this...
" I can suction the sand it’ll be back within two hours?"
Understand that this is far faster than the cell division rate for any algae. So if you suctioned the sand and it was white, then reverted to that tan/brown - then you are seeing settlement and movement of cells onto the fresh new surface.
It may feel pointless, but I guarantee manual removal of brown accumulations outruns algae division rates - you just have to do it a few times.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s almost 3 months old, have snails two hermits, two emeralds and a tiger pistol shrimp. I guess it is considered new still.
Then I’d say it’s diatoms and the “ugly phase” of a new tank. I’d just let it be and keep your parameters in check. It will go away on its own. No way to avoid this stage in a tank’s development. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back