What algae is this?

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I’ve seen this popping up in my tank the last couple of weeks. I’ve been removing it with forceps as I see it, but don’t really know what it is. What is it and how do I fight it outside of manual removal? I started GFO about a week ago, about half the lower recommended amount so I can build up to what I’m supposed to use so I don’t shock any corals. Dunno if GFO will help though.

thanks!
C2C0F0A6-5F0E-4758-B556-06416FD0F4B0.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello!

I’ve seen this popping up in my tank the last couple of weeks. I’ve been removing it with forceps as I see it, but don’t really know what it is. What is it and how do I fight it outside of manual removal? I started GFO about a week ago, about half the lower recommended amount so I can build up to what I’m supposed to use so I don’t shock any corals. Dunno if GFO will help though.

thanks!
C2C0F0A6-5F0E-4758-B556-06416FD0F4B0.jpeg
does it move - or is it attached to the rock? It almost looks like bubble algae?

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t move. It’s attached to rocks and it’s not easy to knock off. I usually have to get some forceps to pull it off or a baster to push it off. I was thinking maybe bubble algae but it doesn’t grow in clusters like I’ve seen bubble algae grow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn’t move. It’s attached to rocks and it’s not easy to knock off. I usually have to get some forceps to pull it off or a baster to push it off. I was thinking maybe bubble algae but it doesn’t grow in clusters like I’ve seen bubble algae grow.
They can exist individually I had one in a tank that got to be almost the size of a ping pong ball - and it was the only one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can exist individually I had one in a tank that got to be almost the size of a ping pong ball - and it was the only one.
Does it grow back in the same place? Is it in other places in the tank?

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look for a CUC solution. If there is a crab that will eat this, get ahead of the game and solve the problem with just a minimal investment before it becomes a bigger problem.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few hermit crabs in the tank. Probably need some more. I’m extremely hesitant to get an emerald crab. I had two in my smaller biocube and they both died within a few weeks. This tank might be different but I also have corals, including Zoas and I’ve heard they can snack on Zoas. Not aware of anything else that really eats this stuff.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be terribly invasive if it hasn't spread. See what it does...just more diversity as long as it's not harming/spreading uncontrollably.

Also, I the pics don't show color well and I may be really off base but could it be a sponge? I have several grayish sponges growing in my tank. At first I thought it was some type of algae.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty green. I tuned all my colors down to zero and whites to full so people could actually see it. It’s hard to see in my normal spectrum. They aren’t growing around any corals or anything. Just don’t want it to get wild.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would look for a CUC solution. If there is a crab that will eat this, get ahead of the game and solve the problem with just a minimal investment before it becomes a bigger problem.
I'm curious - if you are going to use a crab - why not just use a toothbrush? Its not like the crab will eat the whole thing at one time

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - if you are going to use a crab - why not just use a toothbrush? Its not like the crab will eat the whole thing at one time
This is what I’ve been doing with any GHA I see. Couple of times a week I turn on all whites and go in with a toothbrush

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CUC cleans things up before I can ever see them. It must be either that or I’m doing everything right and I’m willing to bet against myself here!

Back