What algae should I get for my refugium?

JcStark87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm debating on what type of algae I should get for the refugium. I just ordered some miracle mud for it and I've heard great reviews on it. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!! I'm nearing the end of the cycling on a new build

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Reefcleaners. John always has multiple kinds of Macros available and his descriptions, info and care guides is top notch.

elagui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I went with chaeto and one mangrove. I don't expect it to do much for nutrient export since it's not a big refugium but I did it for ph balance. I am an not a fan of substrate in my refugium I just live rock rubble.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the fuge and mud, you really could do many types. But my favorites are cheato for nutrient export and mangroves just because I love the plant. Mangroves are great, but they grow very slow and you'd need a ton for nutrient export..

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how necessary is the mud/sand? i am working on doing an external fuge but i have seen mixed reviews about the miracle mud....i was just going to place a few pieces of live rock/rubble rock into the fuge and take it from there.....was also assuming that things like mangroves would need to be tied down or tied up based of the height requirements...am i on the right track?

OP
OP
JcStark87

JcStark87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mehhh idk how I feel about the miracle mud. Honestly its my first fuge set up so I wouldn't know what to expect if I just had plain sand or just rocks/micro in it. Ive just researched it like you did and Ive seen mixed opinions as well. But Ive heard that it helps the overall health of fish and corals so I figured why not! won't hurt right? Good luck!

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the miracle mud is that it works well, but is a bit of work that, for my setup I don't really need.

I have always run cheato and other algea based fuges. This tank,I went bare in my fuge, and it's going well. The miracle mud for me, allowed me to more easily plant the mangroves that I used to have. I believe also, after not running it, that it did indeed contain trace elements. But most important, was I saw massive and easier proliferation of many more forms of small animals not only in the fuge, but in the display. I still have a lot of pods, but there were many more shrimps and stars in the fuge area. I think that I had, say the stars, but over time, without the mud/sand(i always ran the mud in a fan in the fuge), there's nowhere fit the little animals to bury and make their home, so they simply died.

I have thought about adding a tray of mud to this system, but I just haven't, and figured, that it was just another thing to maintain, so I just left it alone. But I'm getting the mangrove itch again, so I very well might at some point in the future add some..

But mud it's definitely not a requirement as I have found out for an effective system.. The sand does also bigger the water, but, at the same time, once again, it's more work, as things anchor their roots deep in the mud and sand..

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the miracle mud is that it works well, but is a bit of work that, for my setup I don't really need.

I have always run cheato and other algea based fuges. This tank,I went bare in my fuge, and it's going well. The miracle mud for me, allowed me to more easily plant the mangroves that I used to have. I believe also, after not running it, that it did indeed contain trace elements. But most important, was I saw massive and easier proliferation of many more forms of small animals not only in the fuge, but in the display. I still have a lot of pods, but there were many more shrimps and stars in the fuge area. I think that I had, say the stars, but over time, without the mud/sand(i always ran the mud in a fan in the fuge), there's nowhere fit the little animals to bury and make their home, so they simply died.

I have thought about adding a tray of mud to this system, but I just haven't, and figured, that it was just another thing to maintain, so I just left it alone. But I'm getting the mangrove itch again, so I very well might at some point in the future add some..

But mud it's definitely not a requirement as I have found out for an effective system.. The sand does also bigger the water, but, at the same time, once again, it's more work, as things anchor their roots deep in the mud and sand..
With that said...is there an optional way to keep mangroves in a bare bottom fuge? I was thinking about how I should "fasten" them down

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmnnn, I read that they don't necessarily need the sand. But I haven't tried it myself yet. I keep looking on Amazon at the little rhyzomes. But that has been the thought myself..

But.. My thought honestly was that I was going to slide them in between the love rock I have in there now. I have gone to tropicorium for years. And they have tons of theirs actively growing on Styrofoam "floats" or rafts.I really don't want to do mine that way, but that is another option. So I don't believe at all that they "require" the sand..

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JC I can't comment on the mud, I run a deep sand bed in my fuges, but there's no reason you can't have more than one type of macro in the sump. I have chaeto and several types of other macros. You never know which will thrive the best or if they all remove identical elements from the water.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JC I can't comment on the mud, I run a deep sand bed in my fuges, but there's no reason you can't have more than one type of macro in the sump. I have chaeto and several types of other macros. You never know which will thrive the best or if they all remove identical elements from the water.
I concur with this thought process! I would just stay away from the caleurpa simply because it can go sexual. I should have sectioned this fuge to allow separate areas for student things.. If I do another(which I will sooner or later), that is the one change I will implement

trio91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went to reefcleaners.org (off a comment that i saw about this site on R2R) and placed an order of 2 chaeto balls and 5 mangroves (plus a penny macro)....this will be going into a 30gal fuge tank....did i get too much?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a chaeto ball from reefcleaners, and the ball fell apart when I put it in my sump. I also ordered a CUC without hermits, and got about 20 really small hermit crabs. With the wind and rain hitting us, it wasn't my day yesterday.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to macro the more the merrier. Find as many different types as you can and throw some mangroves in there. I generally have 4 or so different types 5 mangroves about 6lbs live rock and no sand in a 5 gal fuge. Just prop the mangroves up and they will be fine.

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a chaeto ball from reefcleaners, and the ball fell apart when I put it in my sump. I also ordered a CUC without hermits, and got about 20 really small hermit crabs. With the wind and rain hitting us, it wasn't my day yesterday.

My ball of chaeto fell apart as well upon entering the sump. No idea why.

Back