What am I doing wrong?

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is working. I am seeing new growth. It is still pretty early. I have added the ferrous gluconate twice and the second time I only added 1/2 as much.
IMG_2076-L.jpg

IMG_2078-L.jpg

IMG_2077-L.jpg

IMG_2079-L.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently Seachem Flourish Iron is deadly to yellow tangs. I did mine in. I am not the only one I just found out. I had assumed it was a coincidence that the tang disappeared.
I just ordered Brightwell Ferrion from BRS.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently Seachem Flourish Iron is deadly to yellow tangs. I did mine in. I am not the only one I just found out. I had assumed it was a coincidence that the tang disappeared.
Oh shoot, im sorry! If I knew that I would have said something... I use kent Marine and haven't seen any issues.. Sorry about the tang, I think that the iron is really going to make your Algae grow

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bright well is chelated with EDTA not gluconate if I remember correctly. I found that it increased iron as measured by testing but didn’t seem to be super bioavailable to the tank inhabitants. When I swapped to diy ferrous gluconate solution Fe levels as measured by ICP went down but corals and algae appeared to have higher growth rates.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I should just throw a small piece of cast iron in the tank.
I am sure almost all of the iron in the sea is rust. Iron oxide. I also have ferrous sulfate tablets and Brightwell is Sodium ferric EDTA . Seachem is ferrous gluconate.
I have no idea how that could kill one particular type a fish, or if it is just another internet myth where some people all have a random event that appears to have a common cause.

I would wonder how a homemade ferrous gluconate solution would differ from the Seachem.
I would like to get another yellow tang. I have no interest in seeing if I can keep killing them.

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that ferrous gluconate kills yellow tangs, and certainly pure ferrous gluconate is highly unlikely to do so unless I’m missing something. I can tell you that it doesn’t kill Gem tangs when I add it to my tank.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that ferrous gluconate kills yellow tangs, and certainly pure ferrous gluconate is highly unlikely to do so unless I’m missing something. I can tell you that it doesn’t kill Gem tangs when I add it to my tank.
The posts I found were specific to the brand of product I used and not to ferrous gluconate.
The MSDS for it says it's basically water with a tiny bit of salts.
I have a Kole, sailfin, clown, twospot and tomini in the system as well that weren't bothered.
IMG_1889-L.jpg

I have no idea.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I should just throw a small piece of cast iron in the tank.
I am sure almost all of the iron in the sea is rust. Iron oxide. I also have ferrous sulfate tablets and Brightwell is Sodium ferric EDTA . Seachem is ferrous gluconate.
I have no idea how that could kill one particular type a fish, or if it is just another internet myth where some people all have a random event that appears to have a common cause.

I would wonder how a homemade ferrous gluconate solution would differ from the Seachem.
I would like to get another yellow tang. I have no interest in seeing if I can keep killing them.
I had that exact same thought, but could never be certain that any given metal was "only iron." Every time I walk by the railroad tracks or come across a really old nail though, I wonder. Not so much bc of cost, but how cool would it be to have the sustained release.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The posts I found were specific to the brand of product I used and not to ferrous gluconate.
The MSDS for it says it's basically water with a tiny bit of salts.
I have a Kole, sailfin, clown, twospot and tomini in the system as well that weren't bothered.
IMG_1889-L.jpg

I have no idea.
I'm sorry, my post was cut short by my screaming son earlier. I’m sorry to hear you lost your YT after dosing Fe. I make all of my own supplements now for fear of something like that happening. I’d be happy to help you source ferrous gluconate and formulate your own if you’d like. Cheers, and good luck!

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, my post was cut short by my screaming son earlier. I’m sorry to hear you lost your YT after dosing Fe. I make all of my own supplements now for fear of something like that happening. I’d be happy to help you source ferrous gluconate and formulate your own if you’d like. Cheers, and good luck!
I'm curious what you use for you homemade mix. Can you give us some info?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back