What am I doing wrong

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first batch of qt fish in about 2 months ago. Chestnut blenny, smiths blenny and two shark nose gobies online. I drip acclimated them. They were all eating. I did a 14 day copper treatment at 2.1ppm to 2.3ppm copper power. The smith blenny stopped eating a few days in but was acting normal. Ended up getting a red spot on his side. After 14 days I moved them to a different tank for observation. After 3 days in the new tank all fish died over night. I’m assuming I didn’t cycle the second tank right for the first batch. I got a second batch of fish. 2 ocellaris clowns, one black line blenny and elongated dottyback. They went into the first qt tank. All eating well. No treatments as iGot home last night and they were all dead. No sign of disease.

1st qt is 10gal with hob filter and pvc pipe. I have ammonia alert that has never changed.

Large water changed after first batch moved on.
Thanks

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red spot on the fish noticed in the first batch....big red flag for advanced uronema, possibly. This is a quick killer.

The tank (and all equipment used in the tank) will need to be broken down and thoroughly cleaned...preferably with bleach and then let to dry for awhile. Once uronema gets into a tank, it is not able to be removed by going fallow...this organism can obtain food from light sources, so it is not wholly dependent on fish. If this is the issue...good think you were quarantining fish or your display tank would have had this problem.

OP
OP
Talo’s Reef

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red spot on the fish noticed in the first batch....big red flag for advanced uronema, possibly. This is a quick killer.

The tank (and all equipment used in the tank) will need to be broken down and thoroughly cleaned...preferably with bleach and then let to dry for awhile. Once uronema gets into a tank, it is not able to be removed by going fallow...this organism can obtain food from light sources, so it is not wholly dependent on fish. If this is the issue...good think you were quarantining fish or your display tank would have had this problem.
Thanks. That crossed my mind although the spots went away after a few days. Instead of breaking the tank down. I though I saw you can treat with metro for fourteen days to take care of any residual. Any thoughts.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That crossed my mind although the spots went away after a few days. Instead of breaking the tank down. I though I saw you can treat with metro for fourteen days to take care of any residual. Any thoughts.
Possibly...Metrodonizole is used as a second wave attack against Uronema.

How big is the quarantine tank, though? Two batches of fish lost...I'm not sure I would trust it again without a total clean out, lol.

OP
OP
Talo’s Reef

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly...Metrodonizole is used as a second wave attack against Uronema.

How big is the quarantine tank, though? Two batches of fish lost...I'm not sure I would trust it again without a total clean out, lol.
10 gal. I think I’ll just break it down.
Thanks

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gal. I think I’ll just break it down.
Thanks
Oh definitely if only a 10g! The peace of mind alone will be helpful....very easy with a 10g tank as well. Now if it were a 75g tank or something, that would be a real pain to make new saltwater, etc...!

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say batch of fish do you mean all of these were bought at the same time and then put into a ten gallon aquarium? When one fish seemed to have a disease why did you move them all? I think your stressing these fish out by moving them around and buying too many at once. I dont quarantine and the only way I've had fish die is jumping.

OP
OP
Talo’s Reef

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say batch of fish do you mean all of these were bought at the same time and then put into a ten gallon aquarium? When one fish seemed to have a disease why did you move them all? I think your stressing these fish out by moving them around and buying too many at once. I dont quarantine and the only way I've had fish die is jumping.
I purchased 4 small fish and added at the same time. I was treating with copper prophylactically when one fish showed a red patch. Still acting normal although he stopped eating. The red sore went away before the copper was done so I figured it was a small infection that cleared. I wanted to get them out of copper after the 14 days so I moved them to a clean qt for observation. I figured the blenny stopped eating due to copper. By not eating he would still pick at stuff and had a full belly but definitely depressed appetite. Salinity and temp matched tanks. I respect your way of non qt but that is not a route I have chosen.

Back