What am I supposed to do about this smh STOP USING IO SALT RN!!!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failing to see any attitude in my initial post. Just stating facts.
@T-J is awesome and full of knowledge. I on the other hand have not so much knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.0 is ideal and should not affect ammonia. The Ph will drop at night as it is.
Increasingsalinity will lower ph.
Also addition of a little vinegar will lower ph as well as use of buffers- None that i favor using
How does the ph drop at night ive never heard of that

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not test for ammonia for 40 years. Don’t even know what the test look like. I almost always use IO and add bicarb and calcium to it in the tank to boost the Alk and Cả. I have a 40 gallon breeder QT tank and change 25 gallons each week. Right now I use my QT as a grow out tank for my small fish and SPS frags. I just dump 25 gal from the main tank then use the QT dump to main tank and the 25 gal from mix barrel to the QT system.
Never have problem with IO.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy explains it well in this article

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When lights go out you will see it as example at 8.0 go to 7.7
Reason is when lights are on during the day, The photosynthesis of coral increases and carbon dioxide increases and so does Ph. When the lights go out, the photosynthesis process ceases and the level of CO2 rises and in turn the level of Ph drops.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When lights go out you will see it as example at 8.0 go to 7.7
Reason is when lights are on during the day, The photosynthesis of coral increases and carbon dioxide increases and so does Ph. When the lights go out, the photosynthesis process ceases and the level of CO2 rises and in turn the level of Ph drops.
Actually during the day photosyntheses going on and use up the CO2 produced by corals and animal metabolic activity. At night the metabolic activity continue and no photosynthesis so CO2 is not been use up so the pH drop due to increase CO2.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a TLDR? (the first page was pretty humorous)
Guy buys salt, Salt tests 2ppm ammonia, we give suggestions, We get told were wrong. Say lots of us use this salt. Tell guy to just use it. FF to now, and we are discussing nightly ph drops.

Think that about sums it up.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed rodi water with instant ocean-purple bag(its for reef and labeled as the best professional salt out there), and right now I need salt but can not wait a week for shipping nor I can pay their ridiculous double spiked up prices, I tested for both rodi water and the saltwater with salifert ammonia test kit and my ammonia reads 2.0!!! STOP using this salt or your fish and corals WILL die within an hour!!!, I know no one tests their new water especially for ammonia but I did for the sake of it(and all the salt I have right now is instant ocean purple brand for 400+ gallons), I tested the rodi water and read 0 ammonia 0 nitrites, etc. What am I supposed to do now tell me!, those acans wont survive even 30'
When was the last time you check your DI filters? As anion is used up it could leach back ammonia or just not pull it out.
IO is used across the board by public aquariums and professionals, along with hobbyists.

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea I mean I've had ammonia show up minutes after mixing. Which still isn't to big of a deal. I've had nitrate readings, phosphate readings. Ups and downs. Been using IO and reef crystals for close to 8 years straight. I've gotten rocks, roaches, all types of stuff in those bags.

But for my system, nothing does better for me then just good ol reef crystals. Always found my way back to it.

If everything checks out right, and then see issues after mixing. If it doesn't feel right then Chuck it or even they refund it directly, not all salt batches run perfect.

VideoCapture_20230320-193657.jpg
VideoCapture_20230308-221629.jpg
20230216_113654.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I mean I've had ammonia show up minutes after mixing. Which still isn't to big of a deal. I've had nitrate readings, phosphate readings. Ups and downs. Been using IO and reef crystals for close to 8 years straight. I've gotten rocks, roaches, all types of stuff in those bags.

But for my system, nothing does better for me then just good ol reef crystals. Always found my way back to it.

If everything checks out right, and then see issues after mixing. If it doesn't feel right then Chuck it or even they refund it directly, not all salt batches run perfect.

VideoCapture_20230320-193657.jpg
VideoCapture_20230308-221629.jpg
20230216_113654.jpg
WOW! stunning picture of your reef! Beautiful!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Makubex I just made some fresh IO and measured 0 ammonia using Salifert. Perhaps test your RODI both Before and After you put it in your mixing bin. Wondering if there is something in your filters or bin that’s creating ammonia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Makubex I just made some fresh IO and measured 0 ammonia using Salifert. Perhaps test your RODI both Before and After you put it in your mixing bin. Wondering if there is something in your filters or bin that’s creating ammonia
That's what I said, di filter most likely. Anion all used up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to remove the emergency tag on this thread. Whether the ammonia at 2 ppm is real or not, it is no longer an emergency needing immediate assistance.

I would add a few things to this discussion:

1. RO/DI water can have much higher ammonia in it than the incoming tap water if you get it just as the DI starts to deplete. That is because incoming chloramine is broken to chloride and ammonia, and the ammonia is caught by the DI. However, ammonia is one of the poorer ions bound by DI, and is easily displaced by other positive charged ions such as sodium or calcium. Thus, a nearly spent DI can have a lot of ammonia that gets knocked off into the effluent.

2. IME, testing errors of all sorts are by far the most common cause of "unusual" test results. Much less common are actually unusual chemical events happening in and around reef aquaria.

3. Some marine fish may be killed by 2 ppm total ammonia (depending on pH), but many are not. The lowest LC50 (50% kill in 4 days) that I've seen, extrapolated to pH 8.2 is about 1.3 ppm total ammonia, and some are as high as 50 ppm.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy buys salt, Salt tests 2ppm ammonia, we give suggestions, We get told were wrong. Say lots of us use this salt. Tell guy to just use it. FF to now, and we are discussing nightly ph drops.

Think that about sums it up.
Because I already used all of the few 3 suggestions? Please go somewhere else mate smh

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 just tested the water again as I was told, its been 13 hours unfortunately it still reads .5ppm, no nitrites no nitrates though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back