What am I supposed to do about this smh STOP USING IO SALT RN!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I already used all of the few 3 suggestions? Go somewhere else smh

If you want to rule out source water, you can use a different type of water to make some new salt water and check the ammonia.

If low (less than 0.5 ppm) it says it is not from your fresh water.

If still at 2 ppm, then it is either the kit or the salt.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy buys salt, Salt tests 2ppm ammonia, we give suggestions, We get told were wrong. Say lots of us use this salt. Tell guy to just use it. FF to now, and we are discussing nightly ph drops.

Think that about sums it up.

Because I already used all of the few 3 suggestions? Mate please go somewhere else smh

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You even have the great @Randy Holmes-Farley chiming on on how to rule out your water and your salt and even if you are reading the test properly. We even said you may have gotten a bad batch of salt and to contact the manufacturer. You keep beating around the bush about doing any of that. What else would you like us to do?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did contact the company with the batch number just didnt say it... I am still reading on what he typed, stuff which i didnt know, maybe my rodi is messed up but i tested that water, ill keep on working

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did contact the company with the batch number just didnt say it... I am still reading on what he typed, stuff which i didnt know, maybe my rodi is messed up but i tested that water, ill keep on working

If you post it here, we can help interpret it (and assess whether it is sensible). Not all manufacturer comments should be taken at face value.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I mean I've had ammonia show up minutes after mixing. Which still isn't to big of a deal. I've had nitrate readings, phosphate readings. Ups and downs. Been using IO and reef crystals for close to 8 years straight. I've gotten rocks, roaches, all types of stuff in those bags.

But for my system, nothing does better for me then just good ol reef crystals. Always found my way back to it.

If everything checks out right, and then see issues after mixing. If it doesn't feel right then Chuck it or even they refund it directly, not all salt batches run perfect.

VideoCapture_20230320-193657.jpg
VideoCapture_20230308-221629.jpg
20230216_113654.jpg
Joe Dirt GIF by MOODMAN

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in case anyone glossed over it...post 57 states he bought a used RO/DI...no mention if he ever changed resin or anything else prior to setting it up...i realize its tough to be a kid with no money trying to enjoy this hobby but spending 300 on a new RO/DI may have been a better idea than spending 100 on one where all the media and membrane may need replacing and you lack the experience to determine if it does

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will but salifert has never lied or malfunctioned I even test my water again at 2-3 different lfs and all these times the results were all the same.
Have you ever thought that it could be your source water not the salt?

Last edited:

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOP using this salt or your fish and corals WILL die within an hour!!!,
I'm not reading the entire post because this statement from the OP is totally FALSE. I just changed water in this tank yesterday does everything look like it's dying? 20230323_120223.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 just tested the water again as I was told, its been 13 hours unfortunately it still reads .5ppm, no nitrites no nitrates though.
You mentioned Nitrite. Are you using Api test kit?
Nitites plays no role unless sky high (over 100)

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned Nitrite. Are you using Api test kit?
Nitites plays no role unless sky high (over 100)
For nitrites yes I use my api from 2 years ago, ammonia-salifert, I thought nitrites have to be .2ppt or less?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For nitrites yes I use my api from 2 years ago, ammonia-salifert, I thought nitrites have to be .2ppt or less?
Nitrates and up to 20 and expired kit may answer the crazy numbers you are seeing. You will get false reading with expired kit not to mention the already false readings you get when Api is not expired.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a freshwater concern. Nitrite is not toxic in marine systems until you get to very high values.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

How is Nitrite Toxic?

Nitrite can be toxic in a number of ways. Freshwater fish rapidly take up nitrite through their gills, leading to high levels in their bodies. In freshwater fish, nitrite taken up through the gills can compete with chloride for the same uptake proteins, so in some cases of elevated nitrite the fish can suffer from chloride depletion. It has been observed that some freshwater fish (e.g., bluegill; Centrarchidae: Lepomis macrochirus) do not take up chloride via their gills, and these species are notably resistant to nitrite toxicity.

The internalized nitrite then causes a number of internal disturbances, including loss of potassium from certain tissues (such as skeletal muscle) and the oxidation of hemoglobin into methemoglobin, which reduces the blood's oxygen carrying capacity. This can cause reduced tissue oxygenation, hyperventilation and heart rate increases. Many other biochemical pathways become altered as well, including steroid synthesis, vasodilation (blood vessel enlargement) and changes in internal levels of ammonia and urea. Nitrite detoxification in freshwater fish is accomplished by direct nitrite excretion and by internal conversion of nitrite into nitrate.23

Marine species are less susceptible to nitrite toxicity because chloride (at 19,350 ppm in seawater) outcompetes nitrite for the same uptake mechanisms. Nevertheless, it is possible for some marine fish to take up nitrite via both their gills and their intestines after swallowing seawater. For example, when exposed to 46 ppm nitrite in seawater, the European flounder (Platichthys flesus) takes up 66% of its nitrite via intestinal routes.24 Further, its internal nitrite concentration was found to remain below the ambient nitrite level in the water. At these concentrations, there was some alteration of internal biochemical parameters (such as an increase in methemoglobin levels from 4% in nonexposed fish to 18% of hemoglobin in exposed fish). Nevertheless, there were no mortalities under these conditions, and the difference between this result and what is often observed in freshwater fish at similar nitrite concentrations is attributed to differences in their internal nitrite concentrations.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and up to 20 and expired kit may answer the crazy numbers you are seeing. You will get false reading with expired kit not to mention the already false readings you get when Api is not expired.
Hey you mean nitrATES not nitrites? Also i use salifert test kit for ammonia not api

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey you mean nitrATES not nitrites? Also i use salifert test kit for ammonia not api
To clarify - Ignore Nit I tes and focus on Nitr A tes

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two test kits.

1. Salinity checker

2. mercury thermometer

it has been my experience that when I was new I was aiming for numbers. Now I just go for stability by doing the same stuff week after week.

I let the tank sort the rest out, and rarely take measures if needed.

for me it makes the hobby more enjoyable, and so far I have had much more success.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back