What Anemone is this?

Jaystone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I ordered some mushroom corals, colony polyps, and rock anemones online. With the order, I was also sent an anemone that I didn't order. I emailed the company and was told they don't sell it and don't know what it is. I kid you not, they claim they didn't send it. I've tried finding it online, but I have never had an anemone. I need to know what it is because It's huge and mobile. It moves at a snail's pace, but it moves! This is my first post, and I hope this is the right place for this. The photos don't do it justice. It is stunning. The base is a pale pink with brighter pink marbling. Around the top of the base below the tentacles/arms are bright pink spots. The tentacles are a marbled grey and white. It came attached to the side of the bag. It attached itself to a square "rock", the kind of rock aquacultured corals are attached to. It is about the size of a young lady's wrist. The top is about five inches in diameter. I'm hoping it isn't an illegal or endangered species. I need to know what it is so I can take care of it, and to make sure it won't hurt the fish. I have one tailspot blenny, and a pair of naked cinnamon maroon clownfish in the tank. Some snails, macros, colony polyps, ricordias, a sponge, and one rock flower anemone. Thank you for any help.

20200124_191826.jpg 20200124_191731.jpg

OP
OP
Jaystone

Jaystone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some ways it does look like a RFA. How about it
#OrianN

I know this one is an RFA. It was in a bag with a mushy dead one. It's about the size of a quarter and a lot of mucus is being expelled. If the other is an RFA, I wonder why the seller said they don't know what it is. I do agree after seeing photos of large ones, that that is what it looks like.

20200124_195653.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that it might be bleached out. They wouldn't be the first dealer to not know what they actually have.

OP
OP
Jaystone

Jaystone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm definitely glad I joined this forum and asked! I'm happy I know what it is, and that I'm not the first to have a clueless seller.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jaystone and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Based on the photos you posted, I think the unknown anemone looks more like a RFA than the one you think is a RFA!

I'd really like to see more photos of both anemones.

BTW, sorry for being slow to reply here, but I was on vacation kayaking the natural springs around the Gainesville, FL area. I wish the water in my tank looked as clear as the water in these springs!
DSCN9611.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back