What anemones for a 20g (Red Sea Nano)?

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for advice on type and number of anemones to place in my small aquarium. The only other habitants will be a pair of clownfish, a cleaner shrimp and a few hermit crabs/snails. I'm guessing RBTA (quadricolor) but not sure if I should go for more than one (it won't be that large) and/or another species that lives on sand or near rock/sand edge. Any thoughts from those with experience would be appreciated.

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones release nematocysts into the water column, so keeping different species in a tank, particularly one so small will end in one of them dying..

A RBT is good choice but tank maturity is important, also be careful adding it to a stocked tank as it will bulldozer through everything to sit where it wants.. a good tip is to buy a small terracotta pot, 2” (for cactus) and place the anemone in that and hide in the rockwork.

It will eventually get too big or split though

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had BTAs with Mini-Maxi in that same tank.

Should be a good plan. BTAs will grow/split and basically take over the tank.

OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had BTAs with Mini-Maxi in that same tank.

Should be a good plan. BTAs will grow/split and basically take over the tank.
Yeah I have a large BTA in another tank but wasn't so sure about the smaller one. Would you stay away from, say, having 2-3 smaller BTAs in that tank? Also, are the mini-maxis sand dwellers like other carpets? I have never owned one before.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll probably eventually end up with several BTAs once your first splits. I started with one, and now I have 7... actually taking this week to remove them from the rocks and sell them (just waiting for my latest batch of clown eggs to hatch).

I also keep multiple anemone species — BTAs, Mags, Gigs, Maxis and Rock Flowers — in my tank without any problems, but I have an 80g.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I have a large BTA in another tank but wasn't so sure about the smaller one. Would you stay away from, say, having 2-3 smaller BTAs in that tank? Also, are the mini-maxis sand dwellers like other carpets? I have never owned one before.

Haddoni are sand dwellers but giganteas are not so not all carpet anemones live in the sand.

Maxi minis live on the rocks. My only issue with them is they can catch fish especially in a small tank. Mine ate pretty many fish for such a small anemone. They do not host Clowns either and can eat them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably eventually end up with several BTAs once your first splits. I started with one, and now I have 7... actually taking this week to remove them from the rocks and sell them (just waiting for my latest batch of clown eggs to hatch).

I also keep multiple anemone species — BTAs, Mags, Gigs, Maxis and Rock Flowers — in my tank without any problems, but I have an 80g.
My large BTA in my bigger tank has never split (and never moved since it found its 'spot'). Sometimes my LFS has smaller BTAs so was thinking about getting 2-3 of those (maybe less likely to get beat up by the clowns that will eventually go in there).

I'm thinking that if they outgrow the tank I can remove them and sell to the LFS.

OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni are sand dwellers but giganteas are not so not all carpet live in the sand.

Maxi minis live on the rocks. My only issue with them is they can catch fish especially in a small tank. Mine ate pretty many fish for such a small anemone. They do not host Clowns either and can eat them.
Hmmmm...think I'll avoid something that would actually eat the clowns. Are Haddoni a good fit for a smaller tank? Maybe BTA(s) for the rocks and something else for the sand. But if it doesn't work I'll just stick with BTA only I suppose.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones release nematocysts into the water column, so keeping different species in a tank, particularly one so small will end in one of them dying..
I am unable to find an article or study confirming this quote. Would you mind linking one here?

From my understanding if nematocysts were free floating (say an anemone gets slushied in a powerhead) they can sting the fish in the tanks gills thus killing them.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmm...think I'll avoid something that would actually eat the clowns. Are Haddoni a good fit for a smaller tank? Maybe BTA(s) for the rocks and something else for the sand. But if it doesn't work I'll just stick with BTA only I suppose.

No Haddonis get huge.

If you are looking for something for the clowns to host a BTA clone might work, they usually stay smaller. I have had some BTS's not split and get huge and others stay smaller. I used to have several greens in a 10 gallon for a very long time. Eventually I took some out because there was to many of them.

There are not really any others that are on the smaller size that host clowns. Crispa, malu's, gigantea, haddonis get big.

Rock/flower anemones can be good but are not hosts.

OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Haddonis get huge.

If you are looking for something for the clowns to host a BTA clone might work, they usually stay smaller. I have had some BTS's not split and get huge and others stay smaller. I used to have several greens in a 10 gallon for a very long time. Eventually I took some out because there was to many of them.

There are not really any others that are on the smaller size that host clowns. Crispa, malu's, gigantea, haddonis get big.

Rock/flower anemones can be good but are not hosts.
Thanks. So it sounds like maybe stick with BTAs as others either aren't compatible in a small tank, occupy the same living space (rocks) or will eat the two clowns that will share the tank with them. I suppose I could just make a couple of zoa or softy islands in the sand but was hoping for some type of anemone (it wouldn't have to host clowns...just not eat them).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A H. malu is a sand bed and Ocellaris and Percula will accept as host in aquarium. They get about 6-7 inches or so. Because it is a sand bed anemone, it will not craw around and sting your corals.

OP
OP
O

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A H. malu is a sand bed and Ocellaris and Percula will accept as host in aquarium. They get about 6-7 inches or so. Because it is a sand bed anemone, it will not craw around and sting your corals.
Any idea if they are compatible with BTAs (chart on this forum doesn't indicate)? Good news for this tank is no corals to sting...just 2 clowns, a few crabs/snails and nem(s). Tank is still cycling although almost done at which point I think I'll add the clowns first, then a small CUC, then nems...that sound about right?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back