What anthias to add to a school of evansi

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a school of 7 evansi anthias in a 220 gallon tank. There is also one bartletts in there (the other bartletts all became males and killed each other off). What would be the best anthia to add a second school(no more bartlett). I have had lyretail in the past but a little worried that they may get too aggressive with the evansi. Looking for a nicely colored species as well. Any seasoned anthia keepers advice would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you kept the evansi? How often do you feed them?
I have had 2 of them for about a year and added 5 more about 45 days ago. When I first got them they were not eating frozen mysis so I tried cyclops, calensis, baby brine, live brine and weaned them onto mysis. At first to get them to eat I fed them numerous times a day. Now that they are eating I feed 2-3 times a day. Everyone is fat and healthy and they eat like pigs. Once you get past the initial stage they are actually pretty easy but you have to put the time in on the front end.

OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dispars are nice. Small and peaceful.
I was kicking around sunset but have no experience with them. Thanks for the suggestion as well and may consider them as well!

OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about a princess anthia?

Well played on getting the evansi to eat, that couldn't have been easy!
Beautiful I would love some advice on them from someone that keeps them as I heard they are near impossible. Great suggestion

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful I would love some advice on them from someone that keeps them as I heard they are near impossible. Great suggestion
I'd say if you've successfully kept Evansi, then you're already winning! In my experience, if they don't take to my receipt of lobster eggs, bottled pods and live brine shrimp, then there's not chance.

But I'll wait for others to chime in.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could do a bit of reading on Biota's Pink Square Anthias. I say reading or research because I don't know how they would fit in with the Evansi's (I've not owned them). I do, however, own 4 pink square anthias from Biota and they are amazing. Smaller side to start but eating prepared food out of the gate. Frozen and pellet.

Frozen:
PE Mysis
LRS Reef Frenzy
LRS Fish Frenzy

Pellet:
TDO chromo boost (x-small, small, medium)
Various marine hikari A, S, and a couple others

I feed them 3 to 4 times a day pellet, small feedings and 1 large frozen mix at night. I'd watch to see what they always ate or favorite. The smaller of the 4 needed the x-small TDO for a while whereas the others didn't really care. They grow pretty fast and my understanding is that they can reach 8" or so. Color is bright and fins highlighted in purple. There is an order they are working through with 3 of them being larger with one being clearly the smallest and picked on. However it has no problem striking food or pushing back.

They are probably on the expensive side from what is normally purchased wild caught but buying direct from Biota gave me a pretty good piece of mind. I was happy with the purchase and would order more if I thought I could fit them in my 210 gallon display. Very active fish that spread out most of the day yet shoal together for a bit.

Sorry I don't have anything specific to the Evansi or how they would interact. Just excited with the Pink Squares.

OP
OP
Joe's 220 Reef

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Linnateus wrasse and a hooded wrasse vs another school of anthias. I think next however will be a school of sunset anthias. The bright yellow color and similar size seems appealing. I may mix in some resplendents as well. Thanks all for the advice

Back