What are 3 things you wish someone had told you when you started....

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am a typical peri-Covid tank start-up - had tanks in the 80's (wonder how many of those are out there), so I was all ears to find out how to get up and running as fast as I could.
My DT is a mixed 180 Cade which started Sept 2020 and overall has done well, though like all of us have had learning pains/stumbles. And am lucky to have in a. town of 100K, 2 nice LFS's with great management and support.

But here are 3 things that I wish I knew as getting started and committed to the forever tank, and things I would like other beginners to consider/be reinforced, when starting

1. Adding Kalkwasser to your ATO reservoir is never a good idea - led to the closest thing I have had to a melt down and surprised that I didn't lose more with an All spike that of course happened while away for the weekend. Solution: Kamoers are cheap and easy
2. Pocillopora is NOT a good beginner SPS coral - it was indeed a pride and joy for my first SPS and first 6 months of growth. I now have 12 (+) colonies, some in the most undesirable places including the back glass, but are also pinging a nice Monti or two, and scraping them out seems only to spread them more. Solution: Just say no.
3. Zoas are great for a garden, but keep them off your lawn - Similar to above, but in this case, I planted them on a nice secluded rock, and looks great there, but the ones I placed on the hard scape to fill in the bare spots are a mistake
4 As a bonus Some tangs grow faster than others - that darling little Vlamingi that we added at the 2 month mark and who we fell in love with, and who has more personality than her cat, has grown so fast that we need to re-home him now (2 months ago really) before he hurts himself. Will miss him dearly Solution do your research apart from what the LFS staff tell you, and create a well thought out stocking plan

Wonder what yours are or what you would tell your 18 month younger self...

1642619489347.png

Revt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a big one is this: it's okay to fail. Do your research and do due diligence as you get started, but know that mistakes will be made, and that's okay. It's how you learn and get better.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
be patient (you cannot rush anything in this hoby. in one way or another, it will come back to haunt you)
be prepared for the costs (corals are expensive! even when totaling costs from making local reefer purchases!)
always do research to weigh out your options (in my case, i went with big name brand stuff which has proven great. but how technology is, i could've found cheaper alternatives that would've saved me money down the road.)

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Dont get an apex or a controller , terribly confusing for new reefers.
2. Figure out your end goal first .. if you want nemo and an anemone you dont need a calcium reactor if you want a large tanks of sps sticks, then yes you probably should plan things like that first.
3. Design your system , pick your method and stay with it! Many beginners try to mix and match methodologies, if your triton stay triton, berlin , zeo, randys 2 part, etc. Plenty of proven methodologies. NObody will say your a genius adding a refugium to your zeo tank.
4. QT is real and learning to do this first will save you many expenses and loses , many beginners dont get this but any aged reefer knows this to the the truth.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a goldfish in a bowl. Dead by evening. At age 7, I knew enough from then on not to listen to others and go do the research and through trial and error I discover what best worked for me. In other words, listen but go confirm. Common snese and science more applicable than someone else's experiences and knowledge.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1
1. Research as much as you can about the hobby before you start and before you attempt something (from credible sources)

if you follow the first step and with a little luck you will only buy something once and understand the stages and phases of reefing.

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 100% ich will be in your tank if you do not QT everything, and even then its hard to keep out.
#2 do not buy cheap junk. Spend more the first time and get known quality. Most importantly, heaters, power heads, pumps
#3 when people tell you to take your time and don't rush, listen!

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Warning of all venomous creatures, from obvious ones like Zia’s and anemones to less known ones like play and rabbitfish
2. Every creature is unique, one person’s success or failure won’t necessarily transfer to another. Take all advices with grain of salt.
3. Don’t go cheap until you absolutely know what you are doing. invest in the best equipment and largest system you can for short term success, learn and pay your dues with failures along the way for long term.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) Setup some form of maintenance schedule weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, every 6 months and be religious with it. Learn to enjoy these task knowing your tank will benefit from them.

2.) Test, test & test your water with regularity. I have a Apex Trident now which is more advanced but I really started to succeed the most when I tested for the following weekly:
• Salinity
• Alkalinity
• Calcium
• Magnesium
• Phosphate
• Nitrate

3.) Always look at where your corals will have room to grow and what type of battles could take place if you succeed with their growth!

4.) Learn how to benefit all of your fish’s specific diets and habitats to create least aggression and success of your fish!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really think of 3 this GS I'd wished someone had told me, but I can think of dozens of things I'd wished I'd have listened too. But reading a lot of you fellow reefers they r all good wishes. Oh, and I've learned a few more here on this post

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.) Test, test & test your water with regularity. I have a Apex Trident now which is more advanced but I really started to succeed the most when I tested for the following weekly:
• Salinity
With a salinity refractometer. Not the beerfractometer I bought off of Amazon. No one told me that they built refractometers for alcohol!

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Most "rare" corals are not rare lol (looking at you torch corals), there will almost always be next time if you want a particular coral, ofc there are exceptions.
2. Be on top of maintaining equipment to maximize longevity, especially with cheaper gear.
3. Probably should've just went with a larger tank to start off.

Back