What are all of the causes for a reeftank heating up?

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a Redsea Max S 650 a bit over a month ago and ever since then my temperature has been steadily climbing. Originally it was 24.5 celcius and has made its way to over 27 degrees and still climbing. I have unplugged the heater, i have went no lights for a day and a half (still stayed around 27) and the temperature in my area is less than 25 degrees with inside my house being considerably cooler. I haven't got a chiller just yet but I can't think of any other reason for this kind of heat to be generated in my system. Anyone else with any experience/ideas as to what could cause this? In my mind it is defying the laws of thermodynamics.

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the sump area is heated up and muggy with all the humidity and is causing more heat?
My QT tank is running right next to my DT and there is about 1-3 degrees difference in F. My DT is always hotter and I have cooled it off a little by venting out that area a bit.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights, heater, pump, power heads, direct sunlight, on an outside wall with direct sunlight.

27c isn't bad its about 80f for us non metric people. My tank hovers around 81 - 82f, 27.2 - 27.7c, But for some active cooling can you place a fan so it blows across the top of the tank for evaporative cooling.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the sump cabinet doors open, have a clip on fan blowing inside and a big fan outside blowing toward the tank. House was warmer this am as I don't run the ac at night so I opened all doors and windows and put another fan in that room. New tank might have to have a chiller next summer. Hope I can just do fans and ac during day but I don't like to go below 76. Today I may have too as the tank is at 80

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the sump cabinet doors open, have a clip on fan blowing inside and a big fan outside blowing toward the tank. House was warmer this am as I don't run the ac at night so I opened all doors and windows and put another fan in that room. New tank might have to have a chiller next summer. Hope I can just do fans and ac during day but I don't like to go below 76. Today I may have too as the tank is at 80
Your clip on fan is blowing at the water? Normally this really cools down my tank. To t he point where I need the heater to balance it

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will be from equipment. As others have said return pump skimmer pump power heads and mostly lighting.

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup ran consistently at 78 F. Lately it’s reaching 82F. I thought what the heck? What’s changed?
Oh......small UV light inside the tank. Removed that yesterday AM. This AM we’re back to 79F

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clip on fan is blowing at the water? Normally this really cools down my tank. To t he point where I need the heater to balance it
On my 40 gal AIO I have a fan on the back sump pointing down. Still stays at 79. My 125 I have a clip on desk fan on the door with fan part inside. Still at 79. Was 80 this am so I added a big box fan pointing at the tank. Also have another huge fan on a half wall blowing toward tank. And a ceiling fan in the entry way. I set my air to 76 or 77 but the house got hot overnight so warmer than normal. Might not even put a heater right away into the new tank as my house is plenty warm right now. Even my brute of saltwater in the kitchen is usually 80-82 with no heaters. Might need a chiller next year

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 40 gal AIO I have a fan on the back sump pointing down. Still stays at 79. My 125 I have a clip on desk fan on the door with fan part inside. Still at 79. Was 80 this am so I added a big box fan pointing at the tank. Also have another huge fan on a half wall blowing toward tank. And a ceiling fan in the entry way. I set my air to 76 or 77 but the house got hot overnight so warmer than normal. Might not even put a heater right away into the new tank as my house is plenty warm right now. Even my brute of saltwater in the kitchen is usually 80-82 with no heaters. Might need a chiller next year
Darn I wonder if humidity has anything to do with it. I live in the desert and it gets 120+ every summer. But we call it a dry heat because humidity is rare here, unless it rains. My house ac is set to 76-78 and sometimes on really hot days the ac will struggle to keep the house below 82-83 the tank stays at 79-81 on those days77-78 most days. If I add a clip on fan in the sump and point it at the water (about 5 inches away) my heaters turns on and the evaporation goes up.
I use a 6 inch clip on fan
578D30FB-DAE2-4E6E-A885-A23EE97312E1.png

if your not able to cool it down with a fan, I agree a chiller may be necessary

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn I wonder if humidity has anything to do with it. I live in the desert and it gets 120+ every summer. But we call it a dry heat because humidity is rare here, unless it rains. My house ac is set to 76-78 and sometimes on really hot days the ac will struggle to keep the house below 82-83 the tank stays at 79-81 on those days77-78 most days. If I add a clip on fan in the sump and point it at the water (about 5 inches away) my heaters turns on and the evaporation goes up.
I use a 6 inch clip on fan

if your not able to cool it down with a fan, I agree a chiller may be necessary
I'm in central calif. 1.5 hours south of Sacramento. We get hot, not humid normally. I'm too cheap to run AC down to lower 70's lol's. I turn it down to 76. And yeah, an AC will/can only do about a 20 or so degree difference from outside. We get 105-110. Mostly low to mid 100's.

that is the type of fan I have on the door pointing in. You can always unplug the heater or turn it down for the summer. Here is the fan I use on the RS AIO. I may get 1 or 2 more to use on new tank as it will still be warm in Oct.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm in central calif. 1.5 hours south of Sacramento. We get hot, not humid normally. I'm too cheap to run AC down to lower 70's lol's. I turn it down to 76. And yeah, an AC will/can only do about a 20 or so degree difference from outside. We get 105-110. Mostly low to mid 100's.

that is the type of fan I have on the door pointing in. You can always unplug the heater or turn it down for the summer. Here is the fan I use on the RS AIO. I may get 1 or 2 more to use on new tank as it will still be warm in Oct.

I really like the sleek design of those fans, I’m hoping a couple more will fix your issue. Chillers are bulky and pricey compared to these fans

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back