What are my hammers (and my tank) is going through?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, apologies for the data bombardment.

420-liter tank, sump, Chaeto refuge, mostly LPS.

My salinity was low probably for a long time (1.0230) until 4 days ago when I started using Tropic Marin hydrometer it is now 1.0267

Mg is 1600 but the RedSea Mg kit is crap.

Ca, Kh are 475 and 13 respectively (it is 13 for a week as I did a dosing mistake, it was about 9 in the last month)

NH3 is 0, NO3 is now 10 usually between 10 to 1

Phosphate is 0.01 never goes above 0.08

pH is always between 8.1 and 8.3

Temp is 24.5 °C

Tank is about 170 days old.

About a month ago I started experiencing a rise in phosphate and brown hair algae bloom I started dosing a lot of bacteria (40 ml per day) for 3 weeks and then I started dosing RS NoPOx acetic/acid/ethanol stuff (6ml/day). A week later the algae is almost gone so I continue to dose
After the BHA took over I added AF GFO about 200 gr as the phosphate was 0.1 ppm
Frogspawn and heliofungia died, large elegance bailed out and died, I have three hammers one from the end of the cycle that was looking great (lost its green fluorescent color). Now they are all receded and although the abovementioned hammer is getting its green color a bit but is still reseeded. 2 Goniopora and 2 Alveoporas are recently added are looking OK but not perfect. Other corals 4 Acans, 3 torches, Duncan look normal (I am being careful as I am new to reefing).
During the last 3-5 weeks, I did a 3 20% water changes although my salinity was always off as I underestimated the inaccuracy of a refractometer w/o a reference.
As the algae bloom started, I did an ICP which found 25 ppb Tin! (Sn),
I also had:
1.24-fold the amount of Br, (yellow)
Not enough Sr (0.54), (yellow)
Not enough S (0.75), (yellow)
Not enough Iodine, (yellow)
Not enough K (0.61) (red)
Since then there were 3 20% WC which amount to a bit less than 50% WC. I dosed 600 ml of the AF components 123+ to up my Ca and KH that were on the low side (
I also took off the GFO and added for 3 days TLF Metasorb to get rid of heavy metal (“Tin and friends”)
So now that my salinity is correct (a bit on the high) and although the alkalinity is sky-high (13) The alerts are hopefully less relevant due to the water change and the fact that I dose the iodine-containing AF Build every other day 4 drops as part of the AF coral feed plan. I also feed 10 ml of Red-sea AB+.
I have no idea what is relevant to the current situation of the hammers. Is it the algae? TKH swings due to adding GFO? My Salinity that was off?
I use AF reef salt. I have yet to detect at least some KH/Ca consumption although I have LPS. My interpretation is that maybe my tank is currently not providing a good enough condition for coral growth. Any thoughts? Is my hammer doomed or should I wait patiently for it to slowly recover? Pic1 shows the torch and receded hammers, Pic 2 receded hammer, Pic 3 Bubble coral not fully opened (?)
Thanks
Koty

2021-06-15 19.20.28.jpg
2021-06-05 12.07.56.jpg
2021-06-05 12.05.56.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s obviously a water condition issue and unsure readings on your end.
I would take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use api test kits and have them test the water for you and see what results they come up with and to compare with yours
Moderate light and water flow is favorable
Check also for any black bugs, nudibranch sand other pests to assure there are none

OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s obviously a water condition issue and unsure readings on your end.
I would take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use api test kits and have them test the water for you and see what results they come up with and to compare with yours
Moderate light and water flow is favorable
Check also for any black bugs, nudibranch sand other pests to assure there are none
took a good water sample to a trusted LFS. Confirmed my measurements:
Salinity is = 1.0263
Mg is around 1500-600
Ca=475
Kh is 12.5 respectively (it is 13 for a week as I did a dosing mistake, it was about 9 in the last month)
NO3=12
Phosphate is 0.1
Clearly, I over supplemented with the AF 123+. The label claims that every 25 ml from the Mg #3 raises concentration by 0.38 ppm for every 100 liters. During the week I added 600 ml which amounts to 2.28 ppm added to my 420 liters tank.
Anyway, the question is: To ncrease the chances for curing my hammers, (1) should I let it stay as is for the sake of stability and simply slowly reduce the phosphate with careful carbon dosing, or (2) should I go for WCs to strive towards normal parameters?
Thanks

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took a good water sample to a trusted LFS. Confirmed my measurements:
Salinity is = 1.0263
Mg is around 1500-600
Ca=475
Kh is 12.5 respectively (it is 13 for a week as I did a dosing mistake, it was about 9 in the last month)
NO3=12
Phosphate is 0.1
Clearly, I over supplemented with the AF 123+. The label claims that every 25 ml from the Mg #3 raises concentration by 0.38 ppm for every 100 liters. During the week I added 600 ml which amounts to 2.28 ppm added to my 420 liters tank.
Anyway, the question is: To ncrease the chances for curing my hammers, (1) should I let it stay as is for the sake of stability and simply slowly reduce the phosphate with careful carbon dosing, or (2) should I go for WCs to strive towards normal parameters?
Thanks
I'd do a 40 Gallon WC to balance out params.

That MG and Alk way too high for sure.

Probably the Alk swings ticked them all off.

That .1 Phos not the issue.

If they get BJD there's been some good write ups on curing it with H202 or Cipro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mag and alk elevated and bring salinity to 1.025
Moderate light and water flow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back