What are people dosing for KH CA and MG

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y what are people dosing for KH CA and MG?
I have just upgraded to 110 g tank from a 25 g

i have always just used tropic marin AFR but I am getting a reef factory kh keeper today and apparently AFR does not work dosing on a kh keeper

what do you use I was thinking of using reef zelements but haven’t got a clue to be honest

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain jane Arm and Hammer baking soda for Alkalinity, BRS calcium chloride for Calcium. Weekly WC with high MAG salt keeps MAG in line so no need to dose for that.

Soda Ash or sodium bicarb, take your pick from the article on what you want to dose. One has a slight PH increasing effect, and the other a slight decreasing effect.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have always just used tropic marin AFR but I am getting a reef factory kh keeper today and apparently AFR does not work dosing on a kh keeper

what do you use I was thinking of using reef zelements but haven’t got a clue to be honest
I use a KH Keeper.

Why do you think it won't work with AFR?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just been told it wouldn’t do you think it would . I cant see why it wouldn’t myself

anyone used AFR on a kh keeper?
It looks like ARF is a constant dose which you may increase a little if the kH drops.

If you're using a reef factory doser you would just set an action to dose an extra 20% or so for the next dose if the Alk drops, or skip 20% of the next dose if the Alk climbs.

Can't see why it is any different to Balling method with 3 dosing pumps like I use.

FF0F034D-6FF3-4628-BFDE-F3F4E8DDED7C.jpeg

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ARF is a constant dose which you may increase a little if the kH drops.

If you're using a reef factory doser you would just set an action to dose an extra 20% or so for the next dose if the Alk drops, or skip 20% of the next dose if the Alk climbs.

Can't see why it is any different to Balling method with 3 dosing pumps like I use.

FF0F034D-6FF3-4628-BFDE-F3F4E8DDED7C.jpeg
Whats the balling method just adding all 3 separately?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the balling method just adding all 3 separately?
The Balling method has 3 components.

Sodium Bicarbonate (or Sodium Carbonate) for Alk
Calcium Chloride for Calcium
Mineral Salts to balance the Sodium and Chloride left over from the first two after the Calcium and Carbonate have been used by coral.

They're all mixed in the proportions used by calcification, so each are dosed equally. 3 dosing heads are used because the solutions cannot be mixed.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Balling method has 3 components.

Sodium Bicarbonate (or Sodium Carbonate) for Alk
Calcium Chloride for Calcium
Mineral Salts to balance the Sodium and Chloride left over from the first two after the Calcium and Carbonate have been used by coral.

They're all mixed in the proportions used by calcification, so each are dosed equally. 3 dosing heads are used because the solutions cannot be mixed.
Yeah just looked it up ther mate thanks
So what brand do you use ?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain jane Arm and Hammer baking soda for Alkalinity, BRS calcium chloride for Calcium. Weekly WC with high MAG salt keeps MAG in line so no need to dose for that.

Soda Ash or sodium bicarb, take your pick from the article on what you want to dose. One has a slight PH increasing effect, and the other a slight decreasing effect.

This exactly.

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am useing all for reef on 130 gallon 10 mls a day

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
alkalin8.3-p, calcion-p, magnesion-p. all brightwell products. i honestly barely use the CAL/MAG, and even the strontium/potassium that i have.. mostly all ALK.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back