What are some Acro's that look great under full spectrum white lighting?

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 60 + Acros I have, only two don't look good under the whites (12,000 to 15,000K, GHL LEDs, LX 7206):
WWC After Party
TSA Spyro the Dragon

I'm very happy with the rest, both from a color and growth standpoint.

With that said, I have avoided Acros that are only shown under blues or show best under blues and instead have focused on Acros that look good under whiter lighting (12,000 to 15,000K).

Out of curiosity, what VHOs did you use and like? I used 50/50 actinic and AquaSuns.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 60 + Acros I have, only two don't look good under the whites (12,000 to 15,000K, GHL LEDs, LX 7206):
WWC After Party
TSA Spyro the Dragon

I'm very happy with the rest, both from a color and growth standpoint.

With that said, I have avoided Acros that are only shown under blues or show best under blues and instead have focused on Acros that look good under whiter lighting (12,000 to 15,000K).

Out of curiosity, what VHOs did you use and like? I used 50/50 actinic and AquaSuns.

Everyday my pieces are looking better and better. I can see the RC Poison Envy glowing yellow from across the room.

The WWC Afterparty is glowing bright in my frag tank under the LED's. Maybe that piece just looks best under blue LED's?

I just used a couple actinic VHO's to supplement 3 250w 10k Halides. Growth and color were great! Only problem was at that time 20 years ago my tank was near the kitchen with a suspended hood. My wife didn't enjoy the suntan everytime she walked into the kitchen.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! The Poison Envy sounds like a real winner!

The WWC After Party frags in my frag tank do glow under higher K (guessing about 20,000). I just don't like the DT so blue!

I have always had the lighting in an enclosed canopy. So, no light spill, no tan, no complaints from my wife :)

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for it and ordered an 8 bulb fixture. Recommended to me 4 blue plus, 2 coral plus, 1 actinic (all ATI), and 1 geissman tropic. Will let you know how it looks.

Guessing I can suspend the light about 10 inches off the water?

My tank is 3ftx2ft. Inside to inside width is 22.5 inches. Can't wait to fill every bit of the tank with even lighting!

How are you liking the T5's?

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my LED lighting with a 6 bulb T5 setup. It is a 50/50 mix of ATI Coral+ and Blue+. The light intensity and coverage is a night and day difference between the LED's and T5's. The shadowing is 90% eliminated with the T5's. I am getting light underneath colonies now. Also, the tank braces are no longer an issue.

What I did notice though is 75% of my corals are now brown turds. I am guessing it is because of the LED's causing a lack of spectrum, spread, and intensity. I am hoping for the best that everything starts to color up with the new lighting.

However, this is making me think that maybe some of these corals only look colorful in LED lighting and not high-intensity bulbs such as Halides and T5's. Kinda sheds some light(no pun intended) on the phrase "trick light corals".

I know of some pieces like Oregon Tort, Strawberry shortcakes, HOTO, Most tables, etc that have outstanding coloring in full-spectrum lighting. This leads me to my question, what is your favorite coral for full-spectrum lighting? Pictures of said coral in your full spectrum lighting would be great!

Blackbox LED's
20201021_162620.jpg

T5's
20201021_162426.jpg
The brown turd got me lol !!! And yet we spend so much on corals especially sticks!

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the T5's?
My coral have really responded positively to the T5 switch. Maybe I had my led settings wrong or something, but the T5s smoke the led fixture. Hard to screw it up too. Suspend the light and turn it on.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back