What are some fish you want but won't fit in your tank for whatever reason?

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Band Butterfly: Too timid compared to my Clown Tang and flame angel. Had one for about two weeks. It refused to eat. :(
Niger Tang: Might be too interested in my corals.
I've got a 5ft long, 110gal, mixed reef; SPS, LPS, Softies, smaller reef-safe fish. IMG_1709 (2).JPG
277_niger-trigger_1.jpg

OP
OP
swebb

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently struggling to find my "showcase" fish. I've got a 5ft, 110Gal mixed reef LPS, SPS, softies and reef-safe fish. I do already have a small clown tang that will become the center piece before it out grows and has to move out eventually.
I'd love to add a Copper Band Butterfly. It might be too timid around the tang and my dwarf flame angle. On the other hand, I'm looking at a Niger Trigger. It might be too aggressive for the current residents.
Any input or experienced feedback is much appreciated.
A peppermint hogfish (bodianus opercularis) could be a good idea if you do not have any invertebrates that you are attached to. I'll try to post more later today!
image-jpeg.323563

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Band Butterfly: Too timid compared to my Clown Tang and flame angel. Had one for about two weeks. It refused to eat. :(
Niger Tang: Might be too interested in my corals.
I've got a 5ft long, 110gal, mixed reef; SPS, LPS, Softies, smaller reef-safe fish. IMG_1709 (2).JPG
277_niger-trigger_1.jpg

Don't think nigers eat corals

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we're being extravagant here, I'd like an aquarium with a squadron of cuttlefish. And big enough that I could dive with them once in awhile.
Interacting with a flashing iridescent cuttlefish on a twilight solo dive in PNG was a singularly amazing experience. :)

Cuttlefish-Main-1000x469.jpg
That tank already exists... it's called the Pacific Ocean!

OP
OP
swebb

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused about that. Saltwaterfish.com says that they ARE coral safe, Liveaquaria.com states that they are NOT reef safe and my LFS says maybe. Would love a deciding vote on this.
I believe reef safe refers to how safe they are with invertebrates as well as corals. I believe that triggerfish fall more into the category of not invertebrate safe.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe reef safe refers to how safe they are with invertebrates as well as corals. I believe that triggerfish fall more into the category of not invertebrate safe.
Ok, I don’t have any clams or snails. Would the cleaner shrimp be in danger or would they get a pass? They’re about 3” long.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. Doesn't eat corals or inverts but ive only had it a month

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose in some cases its a gamble. Maybe I get one that wont and maybe I get one that does. I suppose the bigger question is if the Niger will be too aggressive towards my other fishes. Of course, I do have one cardinal and one flame angel that could benefit from being knocked down a rung or two.
My tank seems to be right on the edge of temperament, some semi-aggressive and some peaceful. Hard to decide...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back