What are some good budget powerheads you'd recommend?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Current USA Eflux ($80 each). I have to disassemble them every week to clean because they keep collecting all the gunk and debris inside which slow down their speed a lot. Regardless, one of them are already dead. Which powerwhead in this price range would you recommend? I'm willing to go a bit higher as well, maybe $80 - $150.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the dimensions of your tank? The non controllable tunzes (6015, 6025, and 6045 I think) are very reliable and last forever. I’m currently running an icecap 1k on my 40 breeder. I really like the flow, but maintenance is a little tedious. I ran it with a 6025 on the other side, but I just switched it out with an old controllable jebao power head. Just set it up last night. So far, so good. Cleaning is just like the tunzes. Pretty simple and quick.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabao have been great for me, I have some older ones which are fine, but I prefer the ow series for the compact size, they have a new sow series now too which I haven’t used, I have one on the shelf as a spare just haven’t needed it.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small tank these 12v dc hygger's have been great for me. I have two in my 3ft 30 gallon (plus a strong dc return pump) at full power and one in a biocube 14 at it's lowest power. 4 different wave mods, 4 level's of power, 8 levels of wave speed. Programming is not intuitive but easy enough to pick up. $80 each.

61sJHjO6a7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a small tank these 12v dc hygger's have been great for me. I have two in my 3ft 30 gallon (plus a strong dc return pump) at full power and one in a biocube 14 at it's lowest power. 4 different wave mods, 4 level's of power, 8 levels of wave speed. Programming is not intuitive but easy enough to pick up. $80 each.

61sJHjO6a7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
I just got one of these and I like it too. The programming isn't hard once you figure it out, but I was a bit confused at first so I found video on YouTube that explained it well. Nice cross flow on my 25 Lagoon. It's under $70 on Amazon right now.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! May I ask what a DC pump is? Any difference than the regular controllable ones?

DC stands for Direct Current, as apposed to Alternating Current. Controllable pumps, as far as I know, are all DC. There are advantages: controllable flow, quiet, it doesn't put line AC voltage in your tank.

I'll go against the grain on Hydor. I've had 10 or so. They all, eventually, fail and leak line voltage into the tank.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go against the grain on Hydor. I've had 10 or so. They all, eventually, fail and leak line voltage into the tank.

Nowadays I only use the Koralias to mix salt because they are not controllable, at least for the ones I'm using. But they last long for me

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back