What are some good corals to start out with on my 6 month old tank?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently got a new tank and I am wondering how many coral frags I should start out with, and which type of corals I can keep. I have and A.I prime, on a fluval 13.5 gallon. It is 6 months old and I have gotten over the algae phase. Thanks!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try out a couple zoas/paly frags. They seem to be the easiest for me. And I have always put them in my system first.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J
Hi, I recently got a new tank and I am wondering how many coral frags I should start out with, and which type of corals I can keep. I have and A.I prime, on a fluval 13.5 gallon. It is 6 months old and I have gotten over the algae phase. Thanks!
Just got started with a 5 gallon build of my own. Zoas seem to be doing well, along with Kenya Tree and Green Star Polyps. Any of those would be a good move, I’d say. Maybe a toadstool or ‘shrooms as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J

Just got started with a 5 gallon build of my own. Zoas seem to be doing well, along with Kenya Tree and Green Star Polyps. Any of those would be a good move, I’d say. Maybe a toadstool or ‘shrooms as well. Good luck!
thanks! Would easier lps like hammer and duncan work too?

JAKos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters such as mag alk and calcium stable then i'd do a test hammer/frogspawn or a duncan. a toadstool kenya and zoas could be good but be aware of green star polyps and xenia so they don't take over your tank.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! Would easier lps like hammer and duncan work too?
No idea! I’m relatively new to the reefkeeping world, tho I’ve worked with brackish aquariums for a few years. Duncans seem hardy tho, a good stony starter from what I’ve heard. Hammers can sting nearby corals I think so they have to have their own spot. Do you have a pic of your tank, would love to see how it looks!

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters such as mag alk and calcium stable then i'd do a test hammer/frogspawn or a duncan. a toadstool kenya and zoas could be good but be aware of green star polyps and xenia so they don't take over your tank.
I'm probably going to stay away from gsp and xenia.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was funny, but please keep is serious :)
Well, your question is hard to answer bc caring for corals at 6-9mos is more to do with the hobbyist's skill level than the hardiness of a particular coral.

What's your experience? What's your level of husbandry skills (i.e. knowing when to react vs when to leave it be)? How consistent are your routine maintenance skills? How good is your lighting/equipment?

All I'm saying is we can take two ppl at the 6-9mos period and have drastically different results.

One person is inexperienced, impatient, makes wrong decisions on what to buy, how to use it, how to do routine tasks.... and can't grow corals but just has a tank full of GHA at 6-9mos. They get frustrated at the 1 yr mark and quit.

The second person is knowledgeable, researches everything, doesn't make impulse purchases, has great equipment. At the 6-9mos mark they can grow just about anything they want (within reason)..... IF they apply all their knowledge and skill level.

So IMO it's more about the hobbyist at 6-9mos than the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, your question is hard to answer.

What's your experience? What's your level of husbandry skills (i.e. knowing when to react vs when to leave it be)? How consistent are your routine maintenance skills? How good is your lighting/equipment?

All I'm saying is we can take two ppl at the 6-9mos period and have drastically different results.

One person is inexperienced, impatient, makes wrong decisions.... and can't grow corals but just has a tank full of GHA at 6-9mos. They get frustrated at the 1 yr mark and quit.

The second person is knowledgeable, researches everything, doesn't make impulse purchases, has great equipment. At the 6-9mos mark they can grow just about anything they want (within reason).

So IMO it's more about the hobbyist at 6-9mos than the tank.

I have an AI prime running a 10 hour schedule, and I have barely any algae in my tank (Thanks to the turbo snails). I'd say I'm a pretty patient person, but I sometimes have to remind myself not to be too hasty. My params are pretty stable.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI prime running a 10 hour schedule, and I have barely any algae in my tank (Thanks to the turbo snails). I'd say I'm a pretty patient person, but I sometimes have to remind myself not to be too hasty. My params are pretty stable.
You're ready for light amounts of LPS.

Ranging from acans to zoas/palys to duncans....anything that is fleshy with a tiny mouth. Lol

Go slow on the amount and research how to care for the particular LPS, meaning lighting, flow, water parameters.

You'll do great if you research everything and make smart decisions ;Bookworm;Bookworm;Bookworm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back