What are some of the challenges of reefing with a cube and what have you done to solve these issues?

What are some of the challenges of reefing with a cube and what have you done to solve these issues?

• Swimming space for fish

Votes: 86 45.3%
  • Smaller front viewing panel

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • Adding space between corals

Votes: 66 34.7%
  • Flow pattern

Votes: 112 58.9%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cube tanks can be amazing, but they are not without their challenges. Whether it is figuring out lighting, flow, aquascaping, or other elements of keeping a reef in a cube, let us know what challenges that you have experienced and what solutions that you have found. If you have kept a cube reef then please share any tips or recommendations. The square footprint comes with a lot of opportunities and a lot of challenges – tell us about your cube reef in the discussion!

KlynnUK_CubeTank.jpeg

Photo by @KlynnUK

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I didnt have any other than spacing and adding coral

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main challenges are fish and coral choices in my 90 gallon cube. There are things that can be done however.

Stocking a cube, especially in a good sized cube with nano fish can produce results just as eye catching as a tank full of tangs or anthias if done right. You can have a larger amount of fish depending on how much open swimming space there is; and how many crevices there are in the rock for hiding places.

Coral can be another story. I’ll still be able to have a decent amount of coral. I imagine in a nano that’s going to be a big challenge. It would have to be a tank full of frags if a lot of coral is desired. If the reefer is content with just a few corals then some really nice colonies could be grown. I would probably take a middle of the road approach in a nano cube regarding coral that would give smaller but still decently sized colonies while allowing for more coral.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to share any photo this time. You want to see my cube go to my build thread. I am almost at 20,000 views and I just bought a new fish.

Now. My biggest issue with my cube is flow above all else. There are two flows you can get with a cube. One, no flow. Two, a hurricane. I have tried everything as for as placement and angle of my powerheads and everything ends up the same. Chaos. It is great, I mean REALLY great for SPS. LPS though? Super rough to find proper placement that won't tear off a piece of the flesh. Could I turn down my flow? Sure, but then because it is a cube things will settle in dead spots.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is one of the bigger challenges I face. Since the space is so small, it can really add up fast. What I did was play around with my power head one day and track the % to see what my tank could handle and not go crazy. Then, I set it up on a random flow pattern between the %s that I liked with a low variance rate. So now throughout the day, it will change the speed of flow and I think it works out well. I have a very mixed tank atm, with soft, lps and sps (though mostly sps) and things are working well for now.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 10, 40, 29, and 60g cube.

Really not suitable for fast swimmers like tangs. I’d feel awful for trying to keep one in there.

Aquascaping just turns into a pile of rock against the back wall. Use the right size rock (or an hammer) and it’s no problem.

Flow was never a big issue but it took me a minute. The return is enough on the 10g, the 29, 40, and 60 all worked well with an MP10 or 40. Just needed to make sure they were far enough forward. IIRC I think I actually ran 2 MP40’s because I don’t like them past 50%.

Coral placement and crowding in any tank comes from poor placement and excessive specimens. This can be a problem in a 10g or a 1000g tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue with a cube....FLOW!

I finally figured it out many years into owning a cube. The more powerheads, the merrier.

I use 2 jebao pp8's, 2 mp10's, 2 nero 3's and dual returns with RFG nozzles on them.

Wild enough up top for SPS, low enough down low for LPS, but just enough over the sandbed to not get cyano mats or detritus buildup. Having a center tower style overflow doesn't help the situation either which most cubes have.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great timing just acquired a 40g IM. Not quite a cube but close enough.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble with flow, coral spacing and also fish swim room. I would love a 4 way view tank even with those issues though as it still makes an interesting rock scape and has height for vertical coral growth.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardest part of my 20g nano cube was maintenence of the system
From day one life was easy but by month 8 I could not put my hand in the system without breaking off pieces of coral.

Flow was simple but my system was mostly sps so I could crank it up.

Stability rules as anyone camdo this with the right plan.
Day one to month 8 before Ibtook it down.
20220126_162523.jpg
20221010_165536.jpg

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardest part of my 20g nano cube was maintenence of the system
From day one life was easy but by month 8 I could not put my hand in the system without breaking off pieces of coral.

Flow was simple but my system was mostly sps so I could crank it up.

Stability rules as anyone camdo this with the right plan.
Day one to month 8 before Ibtook it down.
20220126_162523.jpg
20221010_165536.jpg
There is a spider in the first picture no spider in second picture

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am settimg that nano up again in a couple months. Going to be similar but I will run a 150de 14K mh.
I also have the racks in my 80 and am going to placey rock work on top of it. These racks are very nice.
20230206_181251.jpg
20230206_181237.jpg

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main challenges are fish and coral choices in my 90 gallon cube. There are things that can be done however.

Stocking a cube, especially in a good sized cube with nano fish can produce results just as eye catching as a tank full of tangs or anthias if done right. You can have a larger amount of fish depending on how much open swimming space there is; and how many crevices there are in the rock for hiding places.

Coral can be another story. I’ll still be able to have a decent amount of coral. I imagine in a nano that’s going to be a big challenge. It would have to be a tank full of frags if a lot of coral is desired. If the reefer is content with just a few corals then some really nice colonies could be grown. I would probably take a middle of the road approach in a nano cube regarding coral that would give smaller but still decently sized colonies while allowing for more coral.
I like @90's reefer 's sps cube. Lots of vertical space for acros to grow up and using the wall as space too. The tempation can be to scape vertically to the surface which could make a cool display but doesn't always leave room for growth.

greefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cube tanks can be amazing, but they are not without their challenges. Whether it is figuring out lighting, flow, aquascaping, or other elements of keeping a reef in a cube, let us know what challenges that you have experienced and what solutions that you have found. If you have kept a cube reef then please share any tips or recommendations. The square footprint comes with a lot of opportunities and a lot of challenges – tell us about your cube reef in the discussion!

KlynnUK_CubeTank.jpeg

Photo by @KlynnUK
Yes flow is difficult volume itself makes you limited to everything esp 25 gallons or less. I’ve had WB 10 and 20 cubes. Using Fiji cube 32 gallon now w Fiji 20 gallon sump
Been reefing for 25 plus years. IMO if a smaller cube is all you have space for dind or go with like a theme or whatever you wanna call it and not try to put to much in there. Only can have 2/3 fish.
so like setups w some really cool shapes live rocks with a paired set of clown fish w a pretty nem for them and few corals which can be beautiful and great entertainment
clowns in their nem I could watch for hours.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back