What are some of the more rare and not often kept inverts?

Chuja's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of different inverts and I'm looking for something more unique and interesting. Shrimp are my favorites

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce nudibranchs, lobsters, sponge crabs, yellow cucumbers, scallops, tube anemones, horseshoe, fiddler crab, mantis shrimps (I love peacock mantis), red sugarcane shrimp, amber penshell, etc.

(I was perusing the ordering lists for my work and seeing what funky friends are available)

OP
OP
Chuja's reef

Chuja's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce nudibranchs, lobsters, sponge crabs, yellow cucumbers, scallops, tube anemones, horseshoe, fiddler crab, mantis shrimps (I love peacock mantis), red sugarcane shrimp, amber penshell, etc.

(I was perusing the ordering lists for my work and seeing what funky friends are available)
I'm going to have to look into a few of these

Sharlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia swimming crabs and Acro crabs seem to be fairly uncommon, but are very neat little inverts. Glass shrimp are not super commonly kept, but my LFS tend to get a couple that sneak in when large orders of Peppermints arrive.
horseshoe, fiddler crab
Horseshoe crabs get massive and require special tanks to truly thrive. They need a lot of space with little rock work. Fiddler crabs are best kept in Brackish and need a wet\dry tank to live their best life.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia swimming crabs and Acro crabs seem to be fairly uncommon, but are very neat little inverts. Glass shrimp are not super commonly kept, but my LFS tend to get a couple that sneak in when large orders of Peppermints arrive.

Horseshoe crabs get massive and require special tanks to truly thrive. They need a lot of space with little rock work. Fiddler crabs are best kept in Brackish and need a wet\dry tank to live their best life.

True about Horseshoe crabs. I will say that doesn't it take like 10 years for them to reach full size? I would think that most unfortunately don't make it that long in captivity.

When we buy a house later this year I really want to set up a tank just for ours. Little rock, lots of sand, less flow and just a few small fish and other inverts.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turtle weed crab (Caphyra rotundifrons) occasionally makes it into the hobby. needs Chlorodesmis macroalgae to feed.

1615599652054.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back