What are some of the prettiest reef safe fish you have in your tank.

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma: they have great personality, they rule the tank like a king, they tend to dart in and out of caves and are sometimes aggressive, mine will occasionally peck at my cleaner shrimp during feeding time and used to get snippy with anyone who got to close to his cave. Great fish all in all. Here is a picture of mine:

8D1C638F-BFB0-48BD-9C5A-F56239698B0B.jpeg

B5BE8BD6-11A1-4632-A185-7C3DB5E007F4.jpeg

jerburton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma: they have great personality, they rule the tank like a king, they tend to dart in and out of caves and are sometimes aggressive, mine will occasionally peck at my cleaner shrimp during feeding time and used to get snippy with anyone who got to close to his cave. Great fish all in all. Here is a picture of mine:

8D1C638F-BFB0-48BD-9C5A-F56239698B0B.jpeg

B5BE8BD6-11A1-4632-A185-7C3DB5E007F4.jpeg

I 2nd the royal gramma - one of the best aquarium fish out there! Great color, cool swimming habits, peaceful and small bioload

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, colorful ≠ pretty.

I choose fish, not for bright colors, but for something interesting... behavior, appearance, personality... I think my scopus tang is pretty, in a more subtle way. I think my bi-color goatfish, while not 'pretty', is very interesting. Love my white's blenny. My orange spot rabbitfish might be more 'pretty' by your definition... and is a model reef citizen. Many kinds of wrasses are gorgeous, but with my open top tank, a non-starter. I'll be adding a pair of Genicanthus angels sometime this spring/summer... likely Lamarck's angels. Bright? No... but very interesting, and much more reef safe than their brighter cousins.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 frostbite clown which are stunning. A mag foxface. a yellow eye kole tang, royal gramma, flasher wrasse, diamond goby, and a starry blenny. the starry blenny will be removed soon as he keeps ticking off my scoly by putting sand on it.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swales Swissguard Basslet. I call it the poor man's Candy Basslet. Totally peaceful, reef safe, smaller fish. Almost as bright an beautiful at a fraction of the price. Most pics online do not do them justice as the fish is in various states of stress. Once comfortable, they have amazing color.
1115207.jpg

Pink Streak Wrasse. Another fish that most pics don't do justice. Totally peaceful, reef safe, small wrasse species with magenta and purple stripes, bright orange eyes. Very colorful and interesting to watch.
download (1).jpg

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get a small Achilles tang and raise him in the 75 and then move to the 220 once bigger but im not sure I can justify the cost lol

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden Midas Blenny are one of my top favorite fish. Right after that, my Marina Betta is so awesome and beautiful.
I've always loved marine betta, but every one I've had over the decades is either (A) always hiding, or (B) very aggressive towards smaller fish and shrimp.

Midas blenny (and many other blennies) are an _excellent_ choice for a reef.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my starry blenny but he is just killing some of my lps by throwing sand all over them. He will probably end up in the 220 as well. Anyone ever had any good experience with puffers. I would love to add a small one like the honeycomb. I have had a few in other tanks with inverts and they never bothered them but I don't want my cuc in my reef to start disappearing

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get a small Achilles tang and raise him in the 75 and then move to the 220 once bigger but im not sure I can justify the cost lol
When I face this question, I ask myself "how many times do I live?" followed closely by "do I have enough room on my credit card for it?" :rolleyes:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back