What are some of the prettiest reef safe fish you have in your tank.

AnniesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blotch Anthias!

DAE92E0D-67E4-4A70-906B-653852AFA1AB.jpeg

Novareefer57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Desjardini Sailfin Tang. Destroy all types of algae (especially bubble algae) and some are crazy bright!

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasse. I think that their personalities are great, very active, and beautiful. I have a Pink Margin, Solon, Dusky, Melanaris, Red Coris, and Cleaner. I can't get enough of them. Of all my wrasse the Dusky is my favorite. Right now he is a ashy/grey color, cool body shape, and very fun personality.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma loretto
Fridmani
Any nice pair of clowns/designer that u like. I keep a few pairs in different tanks. Premium black snowflakes in DT, mocha gladiator is a Nano cube, frostbite in another cube, black ice in a frag tank and 2black ice and 2gladiators in coral QT... Took me some clowns to decide on a pair that went to DT.
Wrasses many of them to chose from. Flashers are nice I specifically Like cyaenus, lineopunctatus, Flaviannalis. Also have a Pintail (still a female but will try to add a male hoping for a pair) red sea 8 line wrass.
Leopards many of them to chose (can be difficult) bipartitus, ornatus, meleagris, Negrosensis. I also like yellowntail tamarins but wasn't able to introduce with my wrasses.
Fairy wrasses are breathtaking with colors flashing and building up a hirearchy which is very visible, lineatus, flame, magma, solorensis, orange back, laboutei...
Some can be very mean so watch out on ur choices. Also got a radiant wrass that steals the highlights with its colors. Melanurus is also nice especially the male and also cleans up very nice.
I'm also into genicanthus angles (bellus and semifasciatus is well as watanabeis) in different tanks. They do grow large though.
Pyramid butterflies for the 220 maybe.
It's key to build ur list and study it and avoid impulse buys.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses.
Ornate leopard wrasse
Potters leopard wrasse
Black leopard wrasse
Meleagris leopard wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse.
I have all of them in my 120g

I love my Black Leopard wrasse and my Solar wrasse. In fact all reef safe fish are lovely, the only thing is paying for them is the hardest part of keeping them.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasse. I think that their personalities are great, very active, and beautiful. I have a Pink Margin, Solon, Dusky, Melanaris, Red Coris, and Cleaner. I can't get enough of them. Of all my wrasse the Dusky is my favorite. Right now he is a ashy/grey color, cool body shape, and very fun personality.
Red Corris Wrasse is the prettiest fish in my tank. This isn't my fish. Mine won't slow down long enough to have his picture taken. They're all blurry.

red corris wrasse.jpg

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Corris Wrasse is the prettiest fish in my tank. This isn't my fish. Mine won't slow down long enough to have his picture taken. They're all blurry.

red corris wrasse.jpg

That's awesome. I have a juvi that is starting his color transition. He has the spots near his tail. I can't wait for him to fully transition into adult coloration. If only the little bugger would stop flipping everything over all day....

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. I have a juvi that is starting his color transition. He has the spots near his tail. I can't wait for him to fully transition into adult coloration. If only the little bugger would stop flipping everything over all day....
Mine was mature when I got him, so I didn’t get to watch the transition. Next time though. There will be more wrasse. I guess you could say I’m a wrasse man now...

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled it up on the IUCNredlist and it doesn't say anything about it being endangered?
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/183699/8160648
You're right. It's not. The real reason why is because they are very hard to keep. The main reason is, because of temperature. You don't know where it came from. Could be the Atlantic, Mexico, or the California collected. They are subtropical. 99% of things we keep in or reef tanks is tropical. So you would have to have dedicated tank. Sellers do not want them, because they die and the way they capture them is less than humane. Which also leads to more casualties. So eventually they will be there soon enough on the endangered list, because let's face it. We as humans have wants. They as fish have needs. 65% of the people will most likely not suit their needs by not doing their research. The 35% of the people that actually do the research will say no way to it, because those people have probably a 120g+ and they are not going to put in a 3 or 4 fish in that big of a tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. It's not. The real reason why is because they are very hard to keep. The main reason is, because of temperature. You don't know where it came from. Could be the Atlantic, Mexico, or the California collected. They are subtropical. 99% of things we keep in or reef tanks is tropical. So you would have to have dedicated tank. Sellers do not want them, because they die and the way they capture them is less than humane. Which also leads to more casualties. So eventually they will be there soon enough on the endangered list, because let's face it. We as humans have wants. They as fish have needs. 65% of the people will most likely not suit their needs by not doing their research. The 35% of the people that actually do the research will say no way to it, because those people have probably a 120g+ and they are not going to put in a 3 or 4 fish in that big of a tank.
The real reason is that just not collected.

There are very few collecters in the Sea of Cortez/Gulf of California. And those collectors seem to be more 'old school' in what they go after.

Collecting them isn't any different than collecting barnacle blennies elsewhere, which do well in captivity.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back