What are some tips or tricks I can use when drilling acrylic?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to use 60* point Acrylic Point Drills brand. With 6 sizes of bits starting with the smallest and working my way up. From 1/8” bit to 5/16” bit in the 6 sizes. However I will start with a bit smaller than 1/8”. But I want to use a much smaller bit to drill the pilot hole. It is not specifically designed for acrylic. Is this okay? What speeds are needed? Should I spray with water often to cool or lubricate since when drilling acrylic, the heat produced melts the material. What other liquid could I use to do that with? Even though the thickness of the material is 1/8” I want to take all precautions. This is on a very expensive sump and I have had a bad experience working with acrylic in the past. I’m worried about cracking, chipping, and melting.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the end hole size?
Most drilling in tanks is for bulkheads, 1" or larger where hole saws are used.
If smaller than say 1/2 ", your approach is sound.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Solution of Dawn Dish Detergent, mix it a little stronger, than what I would use for washing dishes. If you end up tracking water in your Drill Chuck, make sure you rinse it well, while opening and closing it. Then Spray the Drill Chuck with WD40, while opening and closing it. If you are using a hole saw and want a pilot hole, make sure it is a least one size smaller than the arbor bit.

Back