What are the “growing pains” of a low nutrient system when you start nutrient dosing?

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what I should expect my system to go through as I dose nitrate and phosphate to raise those levels?

I’ve had low nutrients from the beginning (about 3 years). That is because low nutrients was the prevailing thought when I first had SW FO tanks 20-30 yr ago. I’ve been out of the hobby for a while but held onto that belief. But as I’ve struggled with this mixed reef system (not FO), largely with cyano, and started researching the causes it seems the issue is low or imbalanced nutrients. I am prepared to deal with that but want to know what I can expect as I go through the process.

TIA!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don’t go overboard with the nutrients you’ll be fine . Zeroing out your nitrates and phosphates has a much more detrimental effect . That being said the figures vary amongst hobbyists but for me with mixed reef tanks I keep my nitrates between 15-20ppm and phosphates between 0.05 -1.0 . You will always run into something that will need address , mostly bringing in stuff from frags like different strains of algae ie: bubble , gha , etc . As long as to stay on top of it with the appropriate natural and or manual approach while keeping your parameters in the sweet spot and steady you should be fine . Enjoy the hobby :cool:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what I should expect my system to go through as I dose nitrate and phosphate to raise those levels?

I’ve had low nutrients from the beginning (about 3 years). That is because low nutrients was the prevailing thought when I first had SW FO tanks 20-30 yr ago. I’ve been out of the hobby for a while but held onto that belief. But as I’ve struggled with this mixed reef system (not FO), largely with cyano, and started researching the causes it seems the issue is low or imbalanced nutrients. I am prepared to deal with that but want to know what I can expect as I go through the process.

TIA!
From my past experience, don’t be surprised (expect) that you’ll need a dosing pump to lift and maitain phosphates for a fairy long time frame.

Your rock scape will keep absorbing (sucking in) dosed in phosphates for a pretty good while.

Good luck… :)

ambrosius007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my past experience, don’t be surprised (expect) that you’ll need a dosing pump to lift and maitain phosphates for a fairy long time frame.

Your rock scape will keep absorbing (sucking in) dosed in phosphates for a pretty good while.

How long would you say is a good while? I am at zero and zero right now and just started dosing 3 days ago and my parameters are still zero. I can't wait for the point when I can start seeing some numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just started regular dosing nitrate using my DOS pump (100 mL a day) to equal 2 ppm for the tank volume. I don’t have the phosphate yet to make that solution.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you say is a good while? I am at zero and zero right and just started dosing 3 days ago and my parameters are still zero. I can't for the point when I can start seeing some numbers.

Each reef is different.

0 back to 0 is showing that your scape is in-taking your dosed in phosphates. At some point the scape will stable out, but it does take a long time.

Some products (Neo-Phos) don’t dose phosphates up as much as they state that they do, per mls, per dose.

Going to need to test a faily soon after you dose (to see the bump), then re-test agian every 12 hours.

You most likely want to use a dosing pump until your scape stables out while it’s sucking in your dosed phosphates.

ambrosius007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each reef is different.

0 back to 0 is showing that your scape is in-taking your dosed in phosphates. At some point the scape will stable out, but it does take a long time.

Some products (Neo-Phos) don’t dose phosphates up as much as they state that they do, per mls, per dose.

Going to need to test a faily soon after you dose (to see the bump), then re-test agian every 12 hours.

You most likely want to use a dosing pump until your scape stables out while it’s sucking in your dosed phosphates.

Thank you for the response. I am manually dosing every night and then testing 24 hours later based on brightwell recommendation but since my tank is so new and with super low numbers and numbers not moving, I am going to start dosing every 12 hours and testing every 24 hours. Just for fun I think tonight I will test 30 minutes after dosing just to see if my kits pick up anything before my rocks sucks it up.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting discussion so far! Following along!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA!

Remember that dosing nitrate will slowly raise alkalinity.

I do not believe that cyano is typically encouraged by low or "unbalanced" nutrients. Dino's do seem to thrive in low nutrients. You sure you have cyano and not dinos?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me dosing nopox i was not expecting my potassium levels to crash to the low to mid 200's. i checked it on a whim when i noticed my monti graying out. Turns out it is a side effect of carbon dosing that I had been previously unaware..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me dosing nopox i was not expecting my potassium levels to crash to the low to mid 200's. i checked it on a whim when i noticed my monti graying out. Turns out it is a side effect of carbon dosing that I had been previously unaware..

I do not think that is the most likely cause. Do you know K+ wasn't low before dosing?

I dosed massive amounts of vinegar and potassium never depleted at all.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that is the most likely cause. Do you know K+ wasn't low before dosing?

I dosed massive amounts of vinegar and potassium never depleted at a
Randy, Thanks for the comment.

Actually, no I hadn't checked it before dosing. It wasn't a parameter that I had ever considered. My salt is reef crystals and I dose Red Sea ABC+ daily. So, I had assumed (incorrectly apparently) through both of those I would have sufficient K. I had read on your reef parameters article that carbon dosing had been a potential source for depleted levels. I ordered a salifert potassium kit to make sure my red sea kit isn't "lying" to me.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA!

I think you will see increased algae, personally. Film algae on glass, and possibly other types of algae on rock and/or sand.

What is your stocking level (fish and coral)? Do you have maybe alot of coral, and not many fish?

I understand many people dose nitrate but I've never seen the need and am curious about this "new" trend.

IME fish add nutrients and coral remove them. So when I have an imbalance I adjust my fish-to-coral ratio accordingly. If nitrates are too low, get more fish (also obviously this will require more feeding). Or if phosphates are too low, feed more pellets.

I guess I have a hard time believing increased feeding cannot increase your nutrient levels. Seems that it would have to do so, eventually. Are folks being paranoid about over-feeding?

Or maybe is it the delayed response from feeding is less attractive to reefers? Increased feeding will have a gradual effect, while dosing nitrate directly will show up immediately on testing. But I do not think an immediate response is better.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back