what are the best CUC to prevent algae on sand

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn is the go-to, but they are SUPER expensive. Ever since I found Jay's Reef Bugs, I've used them instead. Prices are good, shipping is reasonable and the pods are top notch.

If you're seeding them for the first time, get the 7 species blend. I used one bottle in my 10g and 2 bottles in my 30L to start. Just float the bottle to acclimate then, after lights out, turn off the pumps for about 30 minutes while you dump half of the pods in the display and half in the back chambers of an AiO tank.

ETA: I use his phyto blend too.

love jay's reefbugs. I decided to try dinkins this time though since they are local to me, a tad more expensive than jay's. Heard great reviews from their products

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I want a Bella goby for my 75g mixed reef tank but I keep hearing how people regret them due to the constant need to clean the corals. Are diamond gobies better in that regard? Or should I just do the snails and conchs as suggested in this thread.
I can see them being a problem if you keep some on sand the little fellow gets it on the rocks people said there constantly blowing sand off but I like there personality and they really do a great job at keeping sand white so I don’t mind having to do that every so often I mean if the snails and conchs don’t work as good as you like diamond goby’s do a heck of a job at sifting sand and are peaceful

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
strawberry conchs are usually a bit smaller. I have them in my tanks and they keep the sand pristine.
+1 to this, my strawberry is the best sand cleaning snail. They also show a brilliant personality.

Also, Koumansetta hectori is a better suited goby for the OP’s tank size. Diamond and other Valenciennea species need larger tanks due to their activity but also need a deep and established sand bed to thrive.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods aren’t going to keep the sand clean of algae, yes a good addition to a tank, but in a healthy tank they are going to be there anyway.

Vacumming and stirring the sand are your best bet, the above suggestions will help but they are not going to do the majority of the cleaning, you are going to have to do that.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods aren’t going to keep the sand clean of algae, yes a good addition to a tank, but in a healthy tank they are going to be there anyway.

Vacumming and stirring the sand are your best bet, the above suggestions will help but they are not going to do the majority of the cleaning, you are going to have to do that.
I was thinking the same. Pods don’t eat macro algae’s

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
love jay's reefbugs. I decided to try dinkins this time though since they are local to me, a tad more expensive than jay's. Heard great reviews from their products

Hey there! Just checking in - how did you like your order?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back