What are the best tangs for cleaning up algae?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your favorite tangs for algae cleaning? Particularly turf algae. Which ones do you find grazing the most in your tank?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m on the tail end of beating my turf style algae down to zero. I had dosed Fenbendazole back in February to rid the tank once and for all of invasive blue clove polyps. It worked. But mossy algae grew exactly where the polyps once were. Crazy huh? Either way it was time to attack this stuff. During this process I have noticed that of my 3 Tangs, my B H Tang Van Gogh picks at nothing. My Sailfin, Joe picks at it and Yellow Tang, Sunny as well. So 6 months later the moss is gone but a lighter green algae is still present. Just introduced 25 snails lol onward!!!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, if you wait till the algae is there to add the tangs then it’s too late. I have a regal blue, purple, and tomini tang and none of them eat algae unless its attached to a clip on the glass…worthless fish!! Lol
my tomini didn't ever touch the nori clip until one day chunks where floating around because of my cleaner shrimp and noticed the tomini eating it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So no tangs are really all that useful for algae. This is interesting because it seems to counter the common hobby perception that these fish are good for algae grazing, but so far no one in here has found that to be true.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth, white tail, tomini, convict, and similar tangs will destroy algae.(Big lips)

Yellow, purple, scopas and other similar tangs will help keep things clean.(small lips)

Naso and vlamigi tangs are great for large algae fields.(Big mouth)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else.....if you are adding tangs (or any other CUC) to beat an algae infestation, it usually won't be successful. I think the key is to have these all in place from the beginning.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow barely eats algae at all and wont touch Nori sheets. Unfortunately he is too aggressive to add another tang, he will most definitely kill him. He killed my Foxface I added previously.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My yellow eye kole & yellow tang are constantly grazing. The kole usually starts and the yellow follows all day :)

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Scopas and Sailfin are grazing whenever I'm not feeding them. The rest don't really do much.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tomini is constantly eating algae from the rocks and glass, but it just seems to be the film he is eating and nothing like turf algae. My purple tang doesn’t really help with algae.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tomini didn't ever touch the nori clip until one day chunks where floating around because of my cleaner shrimp and noticed the tomini eating it.
My blue tang is very similar. It will eat off the clip sometimes but prefers to just chase down pieces flying around the tank as it breaks up.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you wait till the algae is there to add the tangs then it’s too late. I have a regal blue, purple, and tomini tang and none of them eat algae unless its attached to a clip on the glass…worthless fish!! Lol
I thought the same thing until they didn’t get nori for a few days. Now they always pecking away.

I think the best is any Zebrasoma then a bristletooth second.

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow is probably the best algae ever. If one of the frags in another tank is showing algae growth I will put it in the tang tank & it gets cleaned up within a day or 2.

Michael ross1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mecit sounds like some fish eat algae so it just means getting lucky.... May after being captaive they dont like the algae we have in our tanks.... Idk but sounds oike a gamble when buying some eat it some don't

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to bristletooth and tomini. My tomini was actively picking at the rocks, and my whitetail bristletooth is even better. She doesn't eat anything else, in fact, and is always busy at work. Her belly gets fatter by the day and she doesn't touch frozen or nori.

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mecit sounds like some fish eat algae so it just means getting lucky.... May after being captaive they dont like the algae we have in our tanks.... Idk but sounds oike a gamble when buying some eat it some don't
I think in my tank I am learning that there is a fine line between feeding well to keep everyone healthy & happy & overfeeding which means they are less likely to pick at the algae and other leftovers.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back