What are the best uses for an ICP test and what should you not use it for?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ICP test kits are IMHO one of the best testing innovations that we've seen come available to the reef hobby in recent years. The advent of ICP testing has allowed us to diagnose problems, identify trends, and provide better maintenance and health for our reef tanks. As we consider the uses of ICP testing, I found this video by @Bulk Reef Supply where Ryan goes over his top 5 uses for ICP tests as well as a couple of things he wouldn't use it for.

This video got me to thinking about all the ways I've seen ICP tests used by our community, and I thought this could be a fun discussion. :) I've seen these tests used in some helpful ways, but I've also seen reefers make mistakes in the ways they use these tests which can lead to problems from misdiagnosis of problems that may not have been present to start with.

So, what are the things you've found ICP tests to be useful for?
What are the things these tests should not be used for?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only run one lab test to-date, and I ran it a few months after I got my tank setup to get a good read on my parameters, ie: how close my manual tests were to actual lab results, if I was dosing enough trace elements, etc.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only got one icp test done and it was fairly recently and I did it to see if I was under or over dosing trace elements.
I also wanted to make sure I didn’t have anything undesirable leeching into my water.
After looking at the information that was provided from the test, I am a fan of them and will probably continue to do a test every few months. The cost of the test is worth the piece of mind to me (ecspecially since I used the cheap Fauna Marin test, which worked well for me).

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran one at the 2 year mark just to see how close my own testing was to the ICP test. It was close with nothing out of line.
I have 2 other systems that I have never ran one on.
Unless I have an issue I dont see the need. Once a year is not a bad idea though.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what they’re best use is. I always use one when my tank is going south for whatever reason. I try to look for anything abnormal. The last two times nothing jumped off the charts so I’ve yet to be thankful for my test results.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see them offering peace of mind to those looking for specific param fluctuations/uptake/dosing. But those that are looking for a catch all answer to their tank situation…good luck.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel they are good for trace elements, as trace element test kits are notoriously inaccurate due to the margin of error being greater than what they are measuring.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was all about them in the past. After running several test on an established system with nothing coming of the test, I stopped.

I ran a few on my new system just to see. Again, I only received a bit of peace of mind from the test.

I do think they are good to establish some element consumption or just to check on things once a year or so.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ICP test kits are IMHO one of the best testing innovations that we've seen come available to the reef hobby in recent years. The advent of ICP testing has allowed us to diagnose problems, identify trends, and provide better maintenance and health for our reef tanks. As we consider the uses of ICP testing, I found this video by @Bulk Reef Supply where Ryan goes over his top 5 uses for ICP tests as well as a couple of things he wouldn't use it for.

This video got me to thinking about all the ways I've seen ICP tests used by our community, and I thought this could be a fun discussion. :) I've seen these tests used in some helpful ways, but I've also seen reefers make mistakes in the ways they use these tests which can lead to problems from misdiagnosis of problems that may not have been present to start with.

1. I have never done one. BUT - I'm well familiar with their use. If you do not do water changes - OR are worried that something COULD be building up in your tank - I would consider it. The problem is the 'normal ranges' for most tests (and I assume the ICP tests - are based on standard deviations away from the mean. Meaning if you do 90 tests - 3 or 4 are going to show 'abnormal' results - ust based on statistics. Which leads to questioning 'whats wrong'. But - if I had an unexplained problem with the tank I would order one.

2. They should not be used for anything but measuring individual elements I.e. Na, Cl, Cu etc etc. any tests that are returned for 'nitrate' or 'alkalinity' or a compound - are merely the same kinds of tests you can do at home. They will not test for dissolved organics. Instead some huge molecule full of CHNo2So4zn3Br (totally made up chemical) - will just show up as S, Zn and Br. you cannot tell the organic load, nitrate, etc from this type of test.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel they are good for trace elements, as trace element test kits are notoriously inaccurate due to the margin of error being greater than what they are measuring.
Is the Red Sea trace kit that way? Been thinking of buying that but had never heard about inaccuracies.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've avoided them because I'm afraid of what it'll tell me. Lol. I'm in the no water change group and have dosed manually forever. I do test for the main parameters and keep things stable. I might find out that my stuff has acclimated to sewer conditions. Lol. But... I'd really like to know. Maybe some day.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've avoided them because I'm afraid of what it'll tell me. Lol. I'm in the no water change group and have dosed manually forever. I do test for the main parameters and keep things stable. I might find out that my stuff has acclimated to sewer conditions. Lol. But... I'd really like to know. Maybe some day.
Are you dosing anything besides the main 3?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Best use? Running Reef Moonshiners
been running it for about 2 months. have noticed some results already!
I am strongly considering switching to Reef Moonshiners method. Everyone I’ve talked to who does it seems to like it.
initial cost is usually what turns some away. but once you understand your consumption rates it becomes a breeze!

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run regularly now, every 1-3mo. After having an undefined problem show up that could have been spotted well in advance I'm going to keep using them. It took a year to recover.

It's also a helpful indication of what my ro filter change schedule needs to be.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back