What are the best uses for an ICP test and what should you not use it for?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test kits are IMHO one of the best testing innovations that we've seen come available to the reef hobby in recent years. The advent of ICP testing has allowed us to diagnose problems, identify trends, and provide better maintenance and health for our reef tanks. As we consider the uses of ICP testing, I found this video by @Bulk Reef Supply where Ryan goes over his top 5 uses for ICP tests as well as a couple of things he wouldn't use it for.

This video got me to thinking about all the ways I've seen ICP tests used by our community, and I thought this could be a fun discussion. :) I've seen these tests used in some helpful ways, but I've also seen reefers make mistakes in the ways they use these tests which can lead to problems from misdiagnosis of problems that may not have been present to start with.

So, what are the things you've found ICP tests to be useful for?
What are the things these tests should not be used for?

I only use ICP for two things: comparing constituent ion levels between different salt mixes and to check for build-up of metal ions over time in sensitive systems.

Jay

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to identify that I can’t test and might be low or in excess. Plus good way to test your own kits are reliable although no guarantee the ICP is 100% accurate either.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Red Sea trace kit that way? Been thinking of buying that but had never heard about inaccuracies.
You would have to look at the margin of error vs what is the norm, and then compare to see if the margin of error on a test kit is something you can live with. I personally have never used test kits for trace elements because of the margin of error. The only trace element I actually dose is Iodine.

Last edited:

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what are the things you've found ICP tests to be useful for?
  • Initial testing of my local natural seawater before determining whether or not to use it.
  • Testing to help diagnose larger tank issues (unexplained fish/coral dying, etc.) and either zero in on or rule out certain potential causes.
  • Confirming the readings of some of my own test kits are accurate (with some exceptions)
  • A rare snapshot of infrequently (or never) tested elements (like Randy said, Potassium for example).
What are the things these tests should not be used for?
  • Daily/weekly testing (unnecessary/cost prohibitive)
  • Determining phosphate levels.
  • To influence over-tweaking. If the ICP test says something is slightly off but things in your tank look good, don't chase parameters just for the sake of getting all greens on your next ICP test.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I neglected my tank and just barely maintained it for many many years, did heavy metal humic acid chelation cleaning, followed by many large water changes then an icp test to see were i was at. Got an idea of what to dose and after 4-5 months did another one to see if i had it all in whack. Been growing acro for a couple years now and plan to send out another soon to see again were im at.
Super useful test!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything besides the main 3?
A multi element product by Kent and Api trace with iodine. Also a drop of iodine per 50 gallons every 2 weeks. My oldest tank now has gone 4 years with no WC. Mostly hammers, torches, and a bunch of nems. Reef flowers for alkalinity. Mag is maintained by the above. Sometimes high.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in icp tests of reef crystals and esv when triton started offering from unique corals - and found esv had issues they corrected once validated. The thread is here on r2r somewhere. Reef crystals were decent at that time at least. That was a positive result overall for everyone.

aside from that unless you’re doing a no w/c I don’t really see the use. If the tank is doing poorly most people should do some large w/c and look for rusted magnets and clamps and run carbon. If icp comes back either looking fine or if an element is elevated - typically you do same thing for both results, carbon and w/c. Save the money and just do w/c imo if something is off.

I would feel much better about using icp for trace elements if more (or any?) companies included what their limit of detection and error range is per element.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do a full set of regular tests the day that I send out an ICP and that way can confirm the accuracy of my own tests. I probably send out an ICP twice a year to double check that things are on track, more if there is an actual problem that I can't get to the bottom of through other means. I also like ICP for testing things that home kits don't cover. Sometimes ICP tests results are just plain interesting just because.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I submit ICP samples a couple times a year just as a sanity check.

As @jfoahs04 mentioned, don't place value on an ICP reading of phosphates/phosphorus.

Scott, can you expound on why not to trust the Phosphate results that some ICP testers also do.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A store under an hour from me offers ICP tests. I received the results BUT it did not test for the elements I normally test for. They also do not provide a reference of what my numbers should be.
Very disappointed.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they’re a great tool for dialing in a system. They have helped us identify and deal with several different problems on multiple tanks. There’s so many guys struggling with issues, and being able to see a lab quality test of the system in question really helps zero in on potential problems.

Let’s face it…some people don’t test and when they do it’s not all that accurate or they use low quality test kits. Others are not very honest about their results. :) Not to mention we can only test for a few elements at home. Looking at ICP results is IMO fantastic. :)

Recently I’ve seen some very high or depleted Iodine levels. High enough to kill Acro’s. I’ve seen several tanks depleted of many different elements or dangerously high. I’ve seen bad source water. The list goes on and on.

ICP tests can aid with many things, but they can also be wrong sometimes. Knowing your system and also knowing what elements can nuke your tank (depending on dose) helps a lot when making a decision with a weird result.

That said I do enjoy elevating the elements for better color pop. Below is a couple recent pics in the group. Check out the “white” frag rack in the daylight pic. You don’t see any purple UV on that rack do you?!

28610737-DD76-41BC-BBF0-BDF9482913E6.jpeg

A3C06BC5-2ABF-4297-A3D2-930A2F6A8D7A.jpeg

mrsandman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feel much better about using icp for trace elements if more (or any?) companies included what their limit of detection and error range is per element.
This is exactly why I’ve hesitated doing an ICP test. Limit of detection and uncertainty levels should be made public or you could end up chasing numbers. Accreditation of that lab would also be nice to ensure that there is some discipline in their operations and consistency in their results.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why I’ve hesitated doing an ICP test. Limit of detection and uncertainty levels should be made public or you could end up chasing numbers. Accreditation of that lab would also be nice to ensure that there is some discipline in their operations and consistency in their results.
But wait.... some of them provide something like 6 to 8 or maybe even 10 significant figures in the results, so they must be both incredibly precise and also that accurate, right? Don't all those impressive digits inspire confidence? It's not like they would overstate the degree to which we can rely upon their numbers, would they? I mean, being scientists and all that, they are, of course, mindful of reporting their results with reasonable specificity and not overstating the confidence in their results, right?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ISO certification may not necessarily lead to a better analysis. A certification will dive the costs up quite significantly which would get passed on to the customers. In a way I’m glad a lot of these labs have decided against the certifications, because ICP testing is expensive enough as it is. :) I feel like the data quality is still high enough. No they’re definitely not perfect, but with time I think they’ll continue to get better.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I submitted a ICP test when my tank was really really looking good and growing well. I did this to base line my tank when things were going well. I followed up with another test approx 4 weeks later. Now I have a base line to compare against if things turn south.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am strongly considering switching to Reef Moonshiners method. Everyone I’ve talked to who does it seems to like it.
I will provide another thumbs up to RMS. Have been using it for about a year. Definitely have noticed the results.

I just sent off an ICP on Monday actually... ATI. My tank is run by German engineering so my tests might as well rely on the same. :0) Plus, it is recommended for RMS method.

Go Blue!

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say…I’m pretty disappointed in the bad uses for the test…lots of room to get creative! Not speaking from experience but…the paper the test is printed on makes terrible rolling papers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back