What are the biggest issues that hobbyists face? Help me help you!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal clear water! And my temp has been swinging bad I know (from 78 to 79-80). I don’t get how I just installed a brand new 12,000 btu air conditioner in same room as tank. I have a RSM 130d (34 gal) two days ago removed stock hood and lighting and mounted a hydra 26 hd which I thought for sure would help with temp going up but nope. I really don’t want to buy a pricey chiller plus I read draws alot of power going to try the clip on fan blowing over top of water in hopes that’ll help keep it stable.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to put a team together that will target the main issues that saltwater aquarium hobbyists face on a day to day basis maintaining a reef tank. What I need from you is to help me put a specific list together of subjects that we need to really target. I would like for you to be as specific as possible please! So in your opinion...

What are the biggest issues that saltwater aquarium hobbyists face maintaining a reef tank?

THANK YOU!
Oh that and this stupid Tunze 9001 skimmer two months into just wont skim properly! SO frustrating and I’ve tried everything even contacted Tunze customer service.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that and this stupid Tunze 9001 skimmer two months into just wont skim properly! SO frustrating and I’ve tried everything even contacted Tunze customer service.
Two months in... meaning your tank is only 2 months old? If so, it’s prolly just that... you are only two in on this. It took me at least 2 months to be able to skim. It might have actually been three months before I could skim 24/7... hang in there...

Last edited:

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months in... meaning your tank is only 2 months old? If so, it’s prolly just that... you are only two in on this. It took me at least 2 months to be able to skim. It might have actually been three months before I could skim 24/7... hang in there...
Hi! No my tank is almost 8 months old. I've had the new skimmer for two months.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze customer service tried helping me as well; said to put 1/2" high than water level mark and open air intake about 1/3 way. It either skims barely anything or if I open air valve too much the skimmer cup fills up with water pretty quickly. I just got frustrated and ended up taking out the "Intank media basket" which I really liked (but won't fit if stock red sea skimmer in) and tunze 9001 and putting back in the stock red sea skimmer which skims great just the thing is SOOOO loud not to mention big/bulky and looks stupid now I removed hood/installed new lighting system.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main challenges any reefer faces is finding a balance in nutrient levels, bacterial levels and alk/cal/mg/trace element levels. Once you get those down, things get MUCH easier.

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to keep it simple. you’re always gonna have your obstacles that you face.I just wanted to prove that you can run a reef aquarium with mixed SPS and LPS and softie.But trust me if I can run a mixed reef off of a fluval FX6 Canister canister filter, the sky is the limit with a sump and a refuge.

reaper0268

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with good equipment and keep it simple. You don't need the latest tech gear or a bunch of gear to be successful.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9001 is much to small for 75 gallons its best for 10 to 15 gallons.
Tunze 9004 with the double skimmer body size was in my opinion to small for my 20 inch cube. (33 gallon)

THillPSU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides some of the topics raised above, help with selection and placement of corals. i would love to be able to send someone some pictures of my tank and have them send me a plan back that says here is what you should get, when, and where to place them, etc.If you are new to the hobby it is all very confusing, and then you are often dealing with tiny frags so it is how to imagine how they all come together.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your effort to help aquarists is very generous. When I started I did my research via Youtube but mostly from a trusted source such as BRS and Marine Depot. They both have excellent videos and great customer service. This hobby is all about knowledge, you have to do the work yourself to learn.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemistry or basic chemistry.

A big thing I’ve noticed is people buying a ton of fish and then coming on here and wondering why they’re dying or thinking it’s ok to have 5 tangs in a 29g tank.

I feel like we could put together generic stocking lists for common tank sizes or a generic list of fish and quick stats and requirements for them. From a hobbies perspective not a Live Aquaria perspective.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back