What are the chances of keeping a Chocolate, Tomini, Orange Shoulder, Yellow, and Powder Brown tangs together?

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 180g DT that has been fallow for about 86 days. What are the chances of keeping these tangs together in harmony? Thoughts and opinions is appreciated.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible for example I have a powder blue, Achilles, yellow, purple, dej sailfin in a 220 they were all in a 180 before except the powder blue and there was another dej sailfin. Just be prepared for it not to work

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a good shot. Depends on size and when they get put into the tank as well. The PBT and Yellow will be the aggressors, better if they are smaller and last ones to be added.

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? I have some (Chocolate, Tomini, Orange Shoulder) also a Blue Tang, and Sail Fin along with other non tangs in a 350 gallon and there are no issues with the tangs. The Tomini does not like my bi color blenny though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown and chocolate are very close in markings, and the powder brown while less aggressive than the powder blue, may not like the closeness of identity of the chocolate. They are also so close in appearance I think you could choose one or the other. A 180g really isn;t that large of a tank for such an endeavor, while other than these 2 I think it could work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Put the browns in together but make them the last two added

OP
OP
C

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Here is my current fish list that's been in QT.

QT Tank 1
2x Mocha Clowns
1x Blue Green Chromis
1x Powder Brown Tang

QT Tank 2
1x Purple Firefish
1x Royal Gramma

QT Tank 3
1x Chocolate Tang
1x Tomini Tang

All fish were in my tank and they were fine with each other. I added my PBT without QT and he ended up giving the others ich too, so I had to pull everyone and treat them. BUT, prior to QT, they were coexisting just fine. I'm just wondering if I'll have an issue if I added an Orange Shoulder and Yellow to the mix. What order would you add the tangs?

1. Chocolate
2. Tomini
3. Orange Shoulder
4. Yellow
5. PBT

OP
OP
C

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown and chocolate are very close in markings, and the powder brown while less aggressive than the powder blue, may not like the closeness of identity of the chocolate. They are also so close in appearance I think you could choose one or the other. A 180g really isn;t that large of a tank for such an endeavor, while other than these 2 I think it could work.
This is true. I think I'd keep the PBT, since they're a little nicer. What other tang would you add to the mix?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say for every one (1) Tang you could eliminate from your 180-gallon wish-list, the potential for a problem would likewise decrease. ;)

OP
OP
C

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say for every one (1) Tang you could eliminate from your 180-gallon wish-list, the potential for a problem would likewise decrease. ;)
Great advice! Should I just eliminate all fish and just raise live rock or will that likewise be an issue too? Maybe I shouldn't ask questions to supplement what I've learned thus far.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings again, “New Member.” Allow me to rephrase my post, more to your delicate sensibilities. I was trying to express that you can play it with more or less caution, depending on how attached to your Tang Wish List you are. Common sense, yes, but I thought it to be a useful reminder.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. I think I'd keep the PBT, since they're a little nicer. What other tang would you add to the mix?

I think it works when they are a diverse group rather than being similar, what other tangs do you like. Putting them back into a fallow tank is also challenging because it will not have mature micro algae growth. Some of those if not all are constant grazers; be prepared to offer multiple algae feeding spots, with algae sheets and even live macro. It works for @billandwende because they have a diverse group and a tank twice the size. The orange shoulder is a pretty beefy guy as well as other tangs that would work in a 180g.

OP
OP
C

cimulation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it works when they are a diverse group rather than being similar, what other tangs do you like. Putting them back into a fallow tank is also challenging because it will not have mature micro algae growth. Some of those if not all are constant grazers; be prepared to offer multiple algae feeding spots, with algae sheets and even live macro. It works for @billandwende because they have a diverse group and a tank twice the size. The orange shoulder is a pretty beefy guy as well as other tangs that would work in a 180g.
I was thinking a Sailfin or White Cheek would be cool, but then again, the White Cheek is similar to the PBT...lol

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 210 gallon tank I have a hippo tank ,chocolate tang . 3 yellow tangs ,Tomi tang, yellow eye kole . Placed all in except for the 3 yellow tanks they went in the following week . Everyone has there place no fighting what so ever.

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick I have found is to put them all in at the same time. I've tried adding tangs after a yr of the ones I alre4have and it seems to never work out. I've even put new fish in acclimation box for long periods and still it's attak soon as they're released.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Lt tang, 2 yellows, vlaminigi and flame in a 180 and they are doing great. Some occassional chasing but nothing to be overly worried about. I also overfeed and have made sure to have lots of caves and such in the rock work.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back