What are the common/suggested equipment extras?

What are the common/suggested equipment extras?

• Upgraded lights

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Flow pumps (gyres, powerheads, etc.)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Controller

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Reactor

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Additives

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want more! What are the common/suggested equipment extras?

So you have a tank up and running with some level of success. You’ve got the basics covered and you want more. Maybe you are looking for greater stability, less physical work keeping up with everything, or you want to move into keeping more advanced corals - what equipment will help you go to the next level? Is it better lights, a controller, additives, reactor, or something else. What do think is the key thing(s) to help transition a beginner setup to the next level? Please share your thoughts in the following discussion!

TJ_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @tjs reef

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a controller is the easy answer.
once you have the basics figured out it is IMO one of the most flexible helper devices especially if the hobbyist isn't able to be with their system every day.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I checked all of the above. A very simple system can be set up with just a tank, saltwater, a little rock and a HOB filter. I have even place a jar reef or a 5 and half gallon macro tank in a sunny window and did not use lights. THAT's simple to the max.

However, I have a 56 gallon macroalgae/softie dominant reef that I run simply but it has a few nice features/upgrades my earlier reefs did not.

1. LED lights with a remote to fine tune intensity of 6 colors ever hour it's on. My former reefs (and even this one before I got the LEDs) had HOT5 bulbs. I could only control the 2 pair of bulbs with timers for when they came on. I had to replace the bulbs yearly. Yes, they were easy to install since it was plug and play but once my LEDs were set up, they have been great. Also the LEDs allow me to work in the tank without them being removed and they are lower profile.

2. Powerheads are not a must for the simplest coral set up where an airline hose will even circulate water, but they are a helpful upgrade. A couple of years ago I asked for a gyre to supplement my tunze powerhead for my birthday and that was a very nice upgrade. It really eliminated dead spots.

3. For me, a basement sump that replace the AC 70 filter was a huge upgrade. The AC filter did the job but required me to haul 5 gallons of just made saltwater to the tank to do the water change. And then haul away 5 gallons of removed saltwater to be dumped. I did this every week. Being a woman in my 60s this can be done but is so much easier with a brute can water making station near my RODI and the sump right next to a floor drain. Now I can change out 5 gallons of water with lifting nothing heavier than the hose on the pump that is in the brute can of already made saltwater. And I added to my overall water volume by using an old 30 gallon tank I already had. Of course it required us to drill holes in our living room floor to accommodate plumbing but it was well worth it!

4. I have one last upgrade I will be making this year before summer,,,an ATO system. My husband and I are riding our motorcycles from Pgh, PA to Skagway, ALaska. That is a minimum 3 week trip. I have a reliable fish feeder but even my 30 gallon XH sump has a fair amount of evaporation that I replenish by hand every 4 days. My fish sitter could do that for me but to reduce salinity swings I plan to add an ATO system.

Even with these upgrades, my reef runs without a skimmer, reactors or controller so I consider it a simple system by today's standards.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think it is impossible to answer as every system is different. What will take one system to the next level is probably totally different from another. Me personally, it was probably adding the Trident.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the tank and what the individual is going for to recommend equipment. Does the person want to automate their tank more? or do they want to keep doing stuff the old fashion way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back