What are the coolest "species specific tanks" and do you want to set one up?

Have you ever set up a "species specific tank" and if so what was it for?

• Yes for a fish

Votes: 101 29.1%
  • Yes for a coral

Votes: 69 19.9%
  • Yes for an invert

Votes: 67 19.3%
  • Yes for an algae

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Yes but for something else (please explain)

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • No I have not but would like to in the future

Votes: 78 22.5%
  • No and not interested in setting one up

Votes: 56 16.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love a mantis tank or some kind of stone fish. I love ugly creepy crawlies.
Though they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do have a planted 240g in my basement that is primarily uncommon rainbows and barbs but that's as close as I've gotten. And seasonal killifish.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon nano that I'd like to do a macro algae, seahorse and pipefish tank with a few small peaceful fish, including a flame prawn goby and candy pistol / Yasha goby pair. One of these days I'll start to research it and make it happen. lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I don’t have pictures, because they don’t look good yet. I have a pico for flaming prawn gobies, and a separate setup for Catalina gobies.
Id love to see photos! I don’t care if they don’t look good but dang I need to see how your Discordipinna griessingeri’s prefer their tank.

Also, as for species only how about I turn it into genus only because there’s always Atleast one genus that intrigues us most!
- Griessinger’s Goby (I currently own one but dang I’d love to have a group of 4-5 of them). This is a curious fish but I won’t say too much as I do have an article on these guys and my love for them.
4986C64F-867A-4222-9874-0688601EB125.jpeg

- Halichoeres… but not just any, the larger and more “aggressive” species such as Neon Wrasses and Jade Wrasses. I don’t have a thing for aggressive however these guys seem to get a wrap for being ugly, I haven’t seen that with my jade (yet), He’s a beautiful transitional male and I refuse to believe they look ugly until I see it.
F1F8F32A-8D1E-49D5-80B0-B9CCBDC84F0E.jpeg

2590A365-BF2B-4413-8712-237B04CBBCEC.jpeg

- Ambon Scorpionfish… Their faces are too cute I’m sorry but it’s true, and after seeing photos of @Things_With_Stings_Reef’s Ambons I love them even more. Not my photo (Just a photo from a simple Google search of one).
A104835D-0688-46FF-ABEE-30BB5C528C53.jpeg

- Filament (Prawn) Goby, I have this guys cousin on here and I’d absolutely love to see even just one of these guys. It’s been my dream to have this and the griessinger however I’m unsure whether this species has entered the hobby or not yet but I’d assume so as this photo doesn’t look like it’s in its natural habitat but I could be wrong. Photo is from an article reef builders did on this fish.
71F2B907-5FF5-4F55-B5E3-391BD1370434.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to tell you the truth i worry about my fish and my coral it's a job. Fish get sick make sure you have batteries just in case lights go out which i think will not could happen but will this summer down here in florida make sure you have dry food on hand there is just so many things don't know where to stop what's your chems. at on and on

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my systems end up being species tanks because of my interest in biotopes. I always have a concept in mind when I plan and set up a new display.

My current reef is my favorite one yet. I call it my "dream reef" because it's a collection of my favorite corals and inverts in the world: photosynthetic gorgonians, photosynthetic sponges, Stereonephthya, Koji Wada pink Nephthea, green Lemnalia, and a couple of cultured sun corals (Dendrophyllia and Tubastraea micrantha). It's meant to replicate an Indonesian reef with soft corals.

The only fish are a small shoal (5) of Biota lyretail damselfish; I've seen photos of these fish (or similar ones) in the habitat I'm trying to depict. They fit perfectly.

Back