What are the logistics of an Office Tank

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do this, but I work across the Mexican border and I would imagine crossing livestock from the states in to mexico would be an issue.... but then again it wouldn't be hard to hide them for the trip over lol. I would run softies that won't have too much uptake and dosing wouldn't be an issue. I know I wouldn't be as productive when im here looking at my tank. as it is, I burn so much time on r2r!!!

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the installation of a Aquapod 12 gallon cube in my ofiice in 2016. Tof off is with an Aqualifter and a timer. In the recipient I mix kalkwasser and vinegar. I feed on weekdays. If I am on vacations I have a friend that will feed the fish and will refil the top off recipient.

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how looks my Aquapod
01 tank.jpg
01 tank2.jpg

Jwoott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work from home now so the temptation to put another tank by my desk is a big one....plus that way I don’t have to worry about any of these issues.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are people working that this would be permitted? I mean genuinely...
I used to work for a pet food company and I can see there it would not only be permitted, but would be seen as dedication and an example of our industry.
But outside of that, there's probably a theme in the type of industry, or maybe, having a good boss who doesn't mind this happening?

company owner here

YMAonthisreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've become a reefing addict. Its true the first step of addiction is admitting there is a problem. Okay, so now that I've admitted it let's talk about how to continue it.

I would like a small AIO tank at my office. I was thinking the BioCube 32 as I have heard good things about it. I was also thinking of doing a mostly softy tank so the lighting requirements and dosing would be a lot less. However, I'm still kinda stuck on how people have tanks outside their home. Here are some questions I have.

1. How do people deal with water? I know my boss wouldn't let me set up and RODI and mixing station here at work, so do people just bring water from home?

2. What do you do about feeding over weekends, or holidays?

3. Related somewhat to 2, but what sort of automation do you have for the tank?

4. What am I not thinking about? For people with office tanks what has been some issues that have come up?

Thank you for the advice. This is something I keep going back and forth on.

I put a 10 gallon on my work desk, and the biggest thing you will have to think about is ato. If it’s open top it’s going to go through a lot of top off. I had a bio cube 32 that I finally removed the hood from, the lights were keeping water temps around 81-82. If you do it right, get fish that eat critters in the tank, so you can feed mon-fri and they can scavenge for critters the other days. I’m really stocking this tank slow, because I rushed my other tanks and you end up losing things in ways you wouldn’t expect. My 10 gal is my favorite though.
E81A876A-D0CE-49B9-A8C3-AA4ED44E6038.jpeg

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 425XL in my office and have been streamlining water changes and maintenance since I got it. I now have a system where I pump dirty water across a hall into a sink and clean from a bathroom in another room with long hoses and pvc pipe hooks that I made myself with solvent weld (I call them candy canes) to hold the ends all in place. Ok I’m the owner and I can do what I like but if I wasn’t then I’d just do it before opening or after hours to avoid disruption. Where there is a will there is a way!

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have just set up a 10 gallon waterbox cube. I did it as bare bottom so I did not have to deal with keeping sand clean. i am doing nems and xenia only. I have an ATO with a 2 gallon white small bucket for ATO rezivour (sp.) I bring in rodi to fill every few days. when I am out long term i’ll set up 5 gal bucket. Ehime auto feeders with feeding chute so food does not just go down the overflow. I lug in water weekly or by weekly to do a water change as it is only 2 gallons needed at a time. I have no protein skimmer so there is nothing to clean. I also put a 22” x 22” drip tray under it just in case. I also got a local leak detector so if there is a leak and I am not there someone will let me know. make sure you ask the boss though to make sure setting up a tank is okay. hate to set it up and have to take it right back down
E48FE72B-5DFB-463C-84D8-11C9017EAB43.jpeg
5A0BA86F-D47B-4599-8623-1343C7E9EC5A.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
987792E4-99A5-4DA7-9CF8-37C5BFCD2A43.jpeg

This is my office, and these or some of the office dogs. Not picture are Bentley the Boston terrier, Barkley the lab mix, and Duke the golden retriever. I’m not the boss, but our company is pretty lax on pets. As long as they get along well with each other and with customers they are welcome.

I think with the closed lid the ATO may not be necessary. I can always buy that later to add on. I was worried about feeding over weekends, but I could set up an auto feeder, or just feed a little heavy on Friday.

I think I’m leaning towards doing it. Petco has the biocube on sale right now. Plus if you order online and pick up in stores it’s an additional 10% off. I think the other things I would need are sand, rock, power head, heater. For a 30 gallon I should probably do two power heads.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I teach at a university. I’m sure other subdivision offices would be opposed, but the secretary and administrative assistant in my department are always wanting to learn more, take on more responsibility, and have really made an effort to support a community within our department. They thought a tank would just improve the atmosphere.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
987792E4-99A5-4DA7-9CF8-37C5BFCD2A43.jpeg

This is my office, and these or some of the office dogs. Not picture are Bentley the Boston terrier, Barkley the lab mix, and Duke the golden retriever. I’m not the boss, but our company is pretty lax on pets. As long as they get along well with each other and with customers they are welcome.

I think with the closed lid the ATO may not be necessary. I can always buy that later to add on. I was worried about feeding over weekends, but I could set up an auto feeder, or just feed a little heavy on Friday.

I think I’m leaning towards doing it. Petco has the biocube on sale right now. Plus if you order online and pick up in stores it’s an additional 10% off. I think the other things I would need are sand, rock, power head, heater. For a 30 gallon I should probably do two power heads.
You should have started with that picture, now all makes sense LOL

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I conveyed my jealousy well enough. I'm envious.

jealous?
one man's treasure... haha
...sitting with your tank 6 feet in front of your desk all day every day isn't necessarily something to be envious of.
To me, although beautiful and fun to gaze at, it's a non-stop critique-fest.
In a way, the tank is a reflection of me and just as I am with myself, I'm never "satisfied" with its current state.

I would continue, but I think I see a rock out of place... oh, and that coral looks like it needs to be rotated... crap, there's salt creep on that corner... now, where's my tank towel?
gotta go.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 16 in my office. I went with the 16 to make it a little easier with water change. I keep a gallon of rodi in the office to top off with but evaporation is minimal with the lid. I did add a blue reefbrite strip that was laying around at home. I just used a super sticky velcro and attached it to the inside if the lid in front of the stock lights. Other than that stock with filter foss and a bag of carbon. I only have 2 fish a yw goby and a clown. I think gsp is pretty but won't put it in the tanks at home so I have it in the office tank with a toadstool clove polyps some zoas and a centerpiece elegance coral. I have been surprised how well things have went with it. I bring in a gallon of sw I mix at home once a week for little water changes. I feed once every morning and then a little before going home on Friday. If Im gone longer I have an ehiem autofeeder but the only vacation I've had resulted in a gha bloom upon returning so I may reconsider that next time. I hope you decide to do it. Everyone who comes into my office loves it. Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back