What are the most annoying things non-reefers say when looking at your tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like to ask me what type of fish they are...I usually try and reply with their latin names to really confuse them, cause if I say tang...wrasse...anthias...they're not going to get it.

I feel like they expect me to say goldfish or tetra...

Then they see the cleaner shrimp....woah what is that spider thingy!?!?

Then the magnet cleaner...i have to lurch forward and stop them cause like an idiot I leave it in the tank and have had someone in the past use it and scratch my tank...so then I have to politely explain to them that sometimes a rock or a snail can get stuck in there...and then explain why I paid extra for starphire and how it's a softer glass...blah blah blah.

jwardecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When someone comes over for the first time and wifey says " here he goes gotta show off his tank" even while out and about and I show people pics on my phone. Or the live video stream

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One lady asked if she could smell the water which was quite odd. Then asked why doesn't your water smell fishy like my goldfish bowl?
LOLOL!! That kinda scares me for her goldfish...

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was once told all my corals were plastic decorations because "corals can't have colors like that" Sad part is that it was my mother and she knows I'm a reefer. It was the first time she saw my tank and thought I was trying to pull one over on her

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People like to ask me what type of fish they are...I usually try and reply with their latin names to really confuse them, cause if I say tang...wrasse...anthias...they're not going to get it.

Ha! I think this would be funny to hear. I don't know the scientific names to all of my fish. I have been able to teach my family about the different types of fish I keep (using common terms of course).

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It get worse when your frag rack is built from a set of magnet cleaner :); I had a BD party so a bunch of kids came over. They loved the fish and corals. When they left, my frag rack was up side down and the dry side was left on the counter. I had trouble finding some of the frags. :)

The magnet cleaner is the most annoying. People just can't help themselves lol

fusionvi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's 2 things...

How much does that cost???

You should put a shark in there!!!

I have a 1100 gal mixed reef

BottomCoastReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all time favorite/ hated comment is why don't you add more fish.
Scratching my head wondering why I don't and then I realize it's cuz my tank is only 20 gallons

Klcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet cleaner is the most annoying. People just can't help themselves lol
I keep my magnet cleaner in the back of the tank...that's a lot of nerve if someone reaches behind the tank to play with it

Klcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what annoys me the most is folks who don't say anything to their children when they are banging on the glass or messing with the equipment. The tapping on the glass really drives me crazy because it scares the fish and all the little fingerprints that are left all over,the glass

MrGemini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be when they walk up to the tank and say, "hey fishy fishy fishy" its like really, its not a freakin dog.

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) not necessarily something they say, but when they start moving the magnet glass cleaner around and are all like "whooooa!"
2) I second the people replying here for when they say "You can eat your fish when you get hungry," "is that saltwater?" "It'd be cool if you put a shark in there!" (I have a nano tank FYI), "is that real coral? So it's like, alive?"
3) "Oh my god a starfish, that is soooo tight!" (When they see asterina stars)

(Face palm)

the starfish one is hilarious hahah

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back