What are the most dangerous aspects of this hobby?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us have heard of a Palytoxin (If you haven’t, read this).

Lionfish and urchin toxicity is also pretty widely known about.

Corals and anemones have stung people badly enough to cause numbness, pain and scarring.

Water and electricity…drip loops people!

What are some other risks which can make this hobby dangerous if not respected?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
False test readings
Disease
Equipment failure
Leaks
Hitchhikers
Tank mate aggression

LarryNuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us have heard of a Palytoxin (If you haven’t, read this).

Lionfish and urchin toxicity is also pretty widely known about.

Corals and anemones have stung people badly enough to cause numbness, pain and scarring.

Water and electricity…drip loops people!

What are some other risks which can make this hobby dangerous if not respected?
You need to understand the electrical load a tank setup pulls. Most home outlets are two sockets, with a capacity of 15A total from the two combined. Anything over that risks overheating the house wiring from the breaker panel to the outlet. I recently read about an aquarist that essentially burnt their house down. He stated he purchased brand name equipment but that doesn't account for the load.

Add up the watts used by each piece and if you are getting close to 1800 Watts, power some of the equipment from a separate outlet. Find an electrician if you are not certain. Electrical fires result from overloaded outlets.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to understand the electrical load a tank setup pulls. Most home outlets are two sockets, with a capacity of 15A total from the two combined. Anything over that risks overheating the house wiring from the breaker panel to the outlet. I recently read about an aquarist that essentially burnt their house down. He stated he purchased brand name equipment but that doesn't account for the load.

Add up the watts used by each piece and if you are getting close to 1800 Watts, power some of the equipment from a separate outlet. Find an electrician if you are not certain. Electrical fires result from overloaded outlets.
If all is wired (14 awg) and breakered (15 amp) properly, there is no risk to house wiring.

And i think you meant power from a separate citcuit, not outlet. Adjacent outlets are probably on the same circuit.

We should all be using gfci outlets or breakers.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all is wired (14 awg) and breakered (15 amp) properly, there is no risk to house wiring.

And i think you meant power from a separate citcuit, not outlet. Adjacent outlets are probably on the same circuit.

We should all be using gfci outlets or breakers.
Breaker is a given here in my area, but I’ve been thinking about switching out my outlet to gfci. Seems wrong to have so much power and so much water but no gfci.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaker is a given here in my area, but I’ve been thinking about switching out my outlet to gfci. Seems wrong to have so much power and so much water but no gfci.
Didnt quite understand your comment.
You should install gfci breaker or gfci outlet.

pennied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading threads like these

common sense lol GIF by Lifetime

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back