What Are The Most Small And Peaceful Fish For A 20 Gallon Reef Tank?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, pick 3-5 or so from a list of smaller fish species like Royal gramma, firefish, purple firefish, helfrichi firefish, any of the clown gobies, red headed gobies, cleaner gobies, sharknose gobies, yellow watchman gobies, yasha gobies, Randall's goby, tailspot blenny, threadfin cardinal, green banded goby, any of the Eviota species gobies, Trimma gobies, there is a huge list of fish suitable for a 20 gallon.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a Mandarin in a 23 gallon with about 20lbs of live rock (a lot) and reverse undergravel sand bed. It's grown from 1/2" juvenile to 1.5" about and it's totally fat maybe too fat. It's totally possible and a very very peaceful fish, but your system has to be designed for it.
How old is your tank? I'd LOVE a spotted mandarin, but figure I'll need to wait until tank has been established for a while.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? I'd LOVE a spotted mandarin, but figure I'll need to wait until tank has been established for a while.
Now about three years (my oldest rock, fish, substrate is 3 years); the mandarin was added last year so the tank was at least 2 years old.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an occelaris clownfish pair in mine with a tailspot blenny, and it’s a perfectly peaceful tank. Blenny went in first, and I got lucky with the clowns — they were just babies when I got them, and paired up easily. They also seem to have imprinted on the blenny —the female even follows him around and copies his behavior sometimes. She learned to hunt amphipods in the sand from him, by watching him peck algae off the sand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
cherub angel
firefish goby

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all these suggestions and would add yasha gobies (single or pair) with a candy cane pistol shrimp. Or a hi fin goby with cane cane pistol shrimp. Here’s 2 of my clown gobies
1D58326E-F88C-4445-A8FC-064EA56DE027.jpeg

Back