What are the rarer colors for a torch coral?

Harris4g63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji here is a couple of day time looks
20180909_112707.jpeg
20180909_112657.jpeg

Danyal khan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID the coral on the right. It is not a standard Aussie Gold torch. It is a shorter polyp and they are bunched much tighter together. I have seen these once before and the person could not ID the name of it. Does anyone know?
6-25-12043.jpg
A bit late but it's definetly a cristata Torch.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some torches have thicker flatter tips and branches right? I am so unclear about lighting and what it does to corals, especially torches. Does the blue light make colors pop or darken them? I have an empty tank with just rock, waiting for it to finish cycline and I supposedly won a "torch of the gods" from unique corals. I havnt claimed it yet so I hope they dont dispute it. Its supposedly worth 1,000.00 on their website it is sold out but they have a smaller one and others and I was going to ask If I could trade. It is gold and sort of looks like an aussie gold. I dont see a torch of gods when I google it so it wont be worth that much if I frag it. It has green tips. Looks like blue light turns gold orange so that would look amazing! Anyway, they have neon green and pink tips, really pretty but not sure what blue light does since there are no corals in my tank. I think it just darkens green from me holding up colors under it. They have a dark purple and I am thinking that would look cool beacus e I think that will look like one of those dark indigo ones. What do you guys think I should trade for? I also like the thicker tips and tentacles or branches ( Newbie) Some get so long and out of control. They also have a gold one looks similar to torch of gods, looks like an aussie gold so maybe I could get more money for frags when I learn the hobby more. I like to start fragging!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie Gold
20191015_200606.jpg
Is this in blue light? What colors with regular lightening. I am a newbie and dont have coals yet, unclear what light does to colors so thats why im asking! I like yours!

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some torches have thicker flatter tips and branches right? I am so unclear about lighting and what it does to corals, especially torches. Does the blue light make colors pop or darken them? I have an empty tank with just rock, waiting for it to finish cycline and I supposedly won a "torch of the gods" from unique corals. I havnt claimed it yet so I hope they dont dispute it. Its supposedly worth 1,000.00 on their website it is sold out but they have a smaller one and others and I was going to ask If I could trade. It is gold and sort of looks like an aussie gold. I dont see a torch of gods when I google it so it wont be worth that much if I frag it. It has green tips. Looks like blue light turns gold orange so that would look amazing! Anyway, they have neon green and pink tips, really pretty but not sure what blue light does since there are no corals in my tank. I think it just darkens green from me holding up colors under it. They have a dark purple and I am thinking that would look cool beacus e I think that will look like one of those dark indigo ones. What do you guys think I should trade for? I also like the thicker tips and tentacles or branches ( Newbie) Some get so long and out of control. They also have a gold one looks similar to torch of gods, looks like an aussie gold so maybe I could get more money for frags when I learn the hobby more. I like to start fragging!
From what I’ve gathered white light in the 12k range grows corals and your blue spectrum up around 20k helps to develop a richer coloring. I’m by no means a lighting expert, but that’s what I’ve been told by those much more experienced than me.

Jmart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone id for me? I got it from my Lfs there was some young kid working I never seen before and he had told me that it was a dragon torch I don't think that's what it is tho thanks

Screenshot_20200130-085350_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-085402_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-081851_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200130-081851_Gallery.jpg

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the camera doesn’t pick up the real color. In reality they are brownish/chrome yellow to gold depends on lighting.
that's what I figured but wasn't sure. Did you use any sort of lens filter on this pic? Like the orange ones or something similar? Or is just straight camera?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of all my torches. I bought that torch from TCK.

WOW! I know this is an old post but I was wondering why some are shorter and stubbier while others are long? Also is anything with a neon center more valuable? I doubt if it shows much as it grows!

Royalgipsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not big in torches but I see the black torches being namedropped and no pictures of any.. At least in Norway they are not really that uncommon.
I learned, without saying too much outside of my limited knowledge, that they are supposed to be really near satin black and must have the furiously neon colored tips to really contrast the tentacles, to be called "black".
Well this is mine, and as all other that don't have cameras with pro equipment I just use my phone..
But a pro tip is, these torches really love strong light and strong flow, and have really fleshy tentacles.. I guess why they are called rare is because they doesn't bud as often as the others.. The other pic is my golden or dragon as some say.. That also has the normal basic darkness to contrast the "gold"
20220219_124437.jpg
20220219_124552.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back